Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Sep 16, 2000.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hello Ladies and Gents,
    I've been thinking of picking up a Warwick Corvette after I trade in some basses and such. Should I just save up for a Bolt-on Thumb?

Also, how is the Corvette? I played one a little bet, but I really haven't had much "sit down" time with it. It was hard for me to discern with Guitar players on the other side of the store cranked up too max solo-ing some horrid 80's hair band music to hear the actual tone of the instrument. It seemed punchy, which I liked, but like I said, I couldn't tell.

So basically, comments :)

Thanks,
    Neal

2. I just recently got me a new '98 Corvette 4 string FNA, the one with the Basslines active preamp and the single large pickup in the middle. And after I got tired of just looking at it, I started in learning on all of the good things it can do... So far I've been able to get twangy slap tones, mellow almost URB sounds, good deep blues sounds, and low-low reggae dub tones out of it without any difficulty at all. And all of this using a fairly muddy, paper-coned speaker, Hartke 1415 combo. Couldn't ask for more than that! (At least, I can't!)
    Now I've got to get me a better amp to see what this baby really can do...

Greywoulf

3. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i just bought a corvette standard about two weeks ago. so far i love it. i played alot at the store before i bought it, and the minute i picked it up i fell in love with it. cant say the same about any other bass i played while shopping for a new one. i find i can get a variety of tones from the bass itself and through my carvin amp. i like best with some real good deep lows. hope you enjoy yours like i do mine if you get one.

4. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I have had a corvette std. 5 string for three months now and it is a good bass. It was punchier than I thought it would be, probably because they used ovankol for the neck instead of wenge. You can get one at http://www.riksmusic.com/special/guitars.htm for under a THOUSAND BUCKS (I paid 1300 for it but I still got my moneys worth) And the best thing is probably the adjustability of the bass. You need a good amp though, to hear what it really can do, all I have is a genz benz ML 15T.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

How much did you pay for that FNA, Grey?
    Just curious to know, I have been giving FNA's
    'that look' for some time, if you know what I mean :D

6. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I've been using Corvette Standard 5 for a few months now. The more I play it, the more it seems like it was built for me personally. When I bought it, the back of the neck was a little rough. I used some extra fine sandpaper and then two different grades of very fine steel wool, rewaxed it, and that seemed to do the trick. Other than that, which I considered minor, though strange for an instrument at this level, I love the tone and versatility. I agree with the comments about using it with a pro amp. Seems to bring out the best of this instrument when played through my SWR cabs vs my Fender. If you go for the 5 string, I believe they come standard with active pu's and electronics now. Anyone?
    Nice features: adjustable nut and push/pull volume knob to bypass electronics. Hope this helps in your decision alittle.

7. $960. Sale price. It's new, but the serial number says '98. Okay by me, still has the same good stuff on it...

Greywoulf