Warwick Corvette Std. 5 in swamp ash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Jul 17, 2004.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Is that normal? A Std. 5 in swamp ash with active pickups? I have a choice between that nad a 5 string standard bubinga with passive pickups. Which is better? Weird to hear of them with swamp ash...
  2. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I have swamp ash warwick, sounds ok for me!! :D
  3. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    is it too bright sounding?
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There was, and maybe there still is a swamp ash version of the Corvette - but i went with a bubinga (and as 6ers, there were no ash models), so I cant comment on how they are...
    But if I were you, then I'd get the bubinga version - I think it will have a nicer tone, its much more visually appealing, has more of that trademark growl, and sounds very good in passive, as well. I rarely turn on the active electronics on mine.
    But the tone question is quite subjective... You can never know, you might like that clearer, more aggressive ash that has a bit more bite in the hi-mid area compared to bubinga, which has a growly and open-sounding (therefore not as clear) low and low-mid, and a bit compressed hi-mid
  5. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Hey, man! Do you have soundclips of your bubinga corvette, i want to compare it with mine!!
  6. I would get the swamp ash one. They sound a little different, but not much. Your back, however, will thank you for not getting the bubinga. I picked up a corvette 5 in bubinga the other day and that thing weighed too much. I'm a decent sized guy and I would get a sore back playing a 2 or 3 hour gig with one of those.

I think you are better off getting the swamp ash.
  7. scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Well I got my my active Std. 5 in swamp ash. I too had to choose between ash and bubinga. The ash just sounded sweeter to my ears, I think the brightness gave it a better high end and slap sound. Probably not as dark but it definately has the warwick growl. Totally depends on the sound you are looking for. Also, I just liked to have something different, you don't see may in this configuration.
    I am very happy with mine and someone said, they definately are lighter!