1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick corvette std 5 vs musicman stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suhrek, Apr 6, 2009.

1. suhrek

suhrek

Mar 8, 2007
    I have a stingray that I've been playing for couple of years now and someone offered me warwick corvette std 5 trade. I wanted to try warwick for a while so I'm actually considering it and was wondering if straight up trade is fair trade..

and If there's someone out there tried both of them, could you tell me pros and cons of each bass? I went to a local store today to see if they had one in stock unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on one :(

Thank you!

2. In Europe the Standard Corvette goes for 1200 Euro new and the Stingray for 2200.

They are two very different basses in all aspects: most noticable sound, feel, looks and value.

I would go out and try the Corvette. Just because a bass is a 1000 euro's more expensive does not mean it is a better bass for you, and any trade that you think is fair, is a fair one for you.

I have played both though (4 string), and sticked to the Stingray. I did not like the feel of the Warwick neck, and the sound was not doing anything for me either.

Keep in mind that the Warwick Corvette $$ is a whole different bass in all aspects (except looks) mentioned above

cheers!

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I own both basses actually lol. I recently bought the Warwick because I found one for dirt cheap and I dug the tone, and I`ve had the Ray for about 4 years now.

Although I haven`t had the Warwick for as long, I can honestly say that it is no where near as nice as my StingRay. It`s had enough time to really impress me and it has honestly fallen short. The Ray has a much smoother neck and has a great punch that cuts through the mix really well.:bassist: The Warwick, IMHO, isn`t as smooth and actually feels quite awkward. The Warwick also doesn`t cut through the mix as well, but rather blends in more. That can be a good thing for some, but not so for me.

The Ray also seems to be able to display a much wider array of tones in comparison to the Corvette. I can get a great blues sound to a very chunky punk sound in a matter of seconds, while on the Corvette I feel rather limited to their infamous 'Warwick tone'.

And like previously stated, the StingRay is worth more. In my opinion, I would never trade down. If you want a Vette then may I suggest you just save up your money and then some to get the Warwick $$.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to message back since I didn`t go into any real specifics.

4. Have you played the ash or the bubinga corvette? because the bubinga corvette does cuts through no problem without even having to think about eqing. Same question to the OP, bubinga or ash corvette.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd ask him to add 300-400 $ for the trade since the value of a used corvette std 5 is around 700-800 $ and the value of a used SR5 is 1000-1100$. I'm a wick guy, so I'd do the trade. BUT, are you a wick guy too? Go to the guy's place, try it and decide after. Oh and btw, you'll get used to the neck pretty fast.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Hmm.. I actually have the ash, so you raise a very good point!

In regards to the neck, I have to say that I can play it now, but it still feels weird as hell to my hands. Of course that is completely a personal thing, but an important one that needs to be addressed.

I will say that if you really dig the Wariwick tone then there`s nothing better, and I too would ask for some cash as well. But if you have your doubts, I`d say keep the Ray and save up for another bass. If you`re still interested in Warwicks, then definantly go for a $$.

I`d also ask for a 3-5 grace period were you two can trade back if things don`t work out.