Warwick corvette std. 5

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by rich37, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Hi Steve,
    since this thread you replyed to in the set-up section is closed I still have a question;

You answered that I should try 35 s(strings) on my bass cause 40 s are too tight.

-My B string is 135, if I change to 30 or 35 s(only E-A-D-G) isn't that bad for the neck or something?
    Cause I tend to keep my B string in that guage, I don't mind that the B string is tight.

-My previous bass was a fender jazz with the same scale length (34", 4 string) and was equiped with the same set of strings 40 s.
    I didn't had any problem at all with tight strings.
    How come?
    What is it on a bass guitar that causes that the strings are too tight?

-Wich strings are the most flexible to prevent thightiness? I now own rotosounds, will taperwounds help?

GRTZ. Rich37
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    why was the other thread closed? not sure what's going on there...

anyway, your Warwick has a longer string length there? so it will have to have greater tension on the same mass of string to get the extra length up to pitch.

So you need to go for a thinner string in order to compensate...

Why are you so set on having a 135 B-string? My experience has been than any string that thick is to thick to vibrate properly, and certainly has no advantaged over one considerably lighter. It's quite possible to get a string much thinner than that to tune very low (Doug Pinnick tunes his DR 0.95 E string down to C a lot of the time) - my flat wound B string is a .125, and even that I'd be tempted to switch for an even thinner one.

So why not try a much lighter set?

I have to say I'm not a fan of Rotosound strings - back when I used them for a while (we're talking 10 years ago now) they were dreadfully inconsistent (I bought one set, and had to switch the E string four times to get one that wasn't dead)...

For low tension strings, maybe try Tomastiks - my experience with them has been that they are very low tension.

I'm using Elite Nickle Wounds on my fretted bass, and Elite flats on my fretless, FWIW - www.elites-strings.com

Michael has some interesting stuff to say on string guages - you there, Michael? :oops:)

3. Hi Steve,

Great info thanx.

The scale length of the fender jazz and the warwick is the same, except the fender was a 4-string.
    So I don't understand why the strings on the fender weren't tight at all?
    (I used the same set of strings)

When I go to a 125 B string, won't it be floppy then?
  4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    If the scale length is the same, then the tension will be identical, assuming you've got exactly the same strings on there. But there are other factors that affect the way a bass feels - action, string spacing, neck profile etc. etc.

experiment and see what happens! :oops:)

5. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    this is fun to read... cause of I have 5string corvette .. I do use mostly 0.40 or sometimes 0.35, but I think 0.40 are exactly the right size. It can`t hurt your neck rich if u make a good setup...
    i don`t know which corvette ya have exactly and my FNA5 have really "dangerous" neck.. it`s very variable and I`ve been fighting with setup for almost 2 years (but now I got it and 0.40 sets perfectly.. much better then previous 0.45 from factory)...

u should try red label 0.40 set by Warwick strings... they are cheap and works fine...

p.s. your probs with a bass can do a wood of a neck (ash is not ovangol and wenge is not ebony.. ;-)) keep checking and be good to your bass ;}

but now.. to steve ;-) heh, i know that is for another forum, but... i am joining jazz school and I would like to get more into excersices.. ehm..exactly..i would like to put there some kicking ass feeling.. how are u "cleaning" your technique? (i can`t close my eyes when I look at notes.. but I try to change a tension in my left hand ;-)) c`ya around... Miss.Ant.