1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette STD VS Warwick Corvette Double $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Aug 19, 2012.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Hi, i want to update one of my basses, i own a warwick corvette std 1999 german made, 4 strings with EMG active pickups, bubinga body, someone in my neiborhood is selling a warwick double $$ german made 2007, upgraded with a seymor duncan preamp, glossy red finish, i find my corvette with a little bit bright sound (i supposed it's because EMG pickups), i want some bass with more versatility or a darker sound (I'm not telling that i hate my warwick sound at all) ...someone can help me? someone who currently have or tested these 2 basses?, it's a good deal or could be a good idea upgrade my corvette with a Aguilar preamp OBP3 maybe? Thanks.....

2. It's not EXACTLY what you described but this week at Sam Ash I A/B'd a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic with a Warwick Rockbass $$, and the $$ was definitely darker in my opinion. It was also...I dunno "rounder"? The Corvette Basic was tighter sounding. Hope that helps some?

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

What preamp are you running with the EMGs?

4. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    The $$ will be much darker and rounder, you can get a ton of different tones out of it. If you already have the std, get the $$ :)

5. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    $$ are darker and rounder than the standard jazz pick ups. An opb3 will help round out the jazz pick ups and fatten the sound.

6. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Thanks! It's very helpful this info, actually the EMG pickups of my corvette are active by them selfs, I think they have an interior preamp, but I think I'll go for the $$.....but more info are welcome :)

7. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    They have an interior preamp.....

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The Corvette $$ is incredibly versatile with many options available with its pickup/switch configuration. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!

9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    What controls are on your bass, vol, blend, tone, or vol, blend, stack bass/treble?
    I like the standard better but to each his own.

10. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Field of man, MA
    I find the bubinga basses to have more teeth to their sound than their ash counterparts but the ash ones are a bit lower sounding. To me at least.

11. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    My corvette only have 2 vol(for each pickup) and a tone knob....

12. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    And what do you thing about a fender American jazz bass standard fretless to obtain a rounded sound? I know they're totally different animals but yesterday I found one in a very good price and mint condition ( $850 dlls) the corvette $$ it's around $1000 dlls.....

13. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    I'd love to have a $$.... You should grab that if the wallet allows however of I owned your std I would prolly turf the emgs for sometime classic and organic.... I've always found emgs glassy and cold although I've only tried them in guitars not basses.

14. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Thanks, in case of decide keep my corvette std, wich preamp recommend me to upgrade and have a rounded sound?, the inicial idea was sell my corvette std but seem the buyer have a problem and will not be possible, so I cant afford a new bass without sell mine first.....

15. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I put an Aguilar preamp in my Corvette, and I love it.

16. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Which model? Do you have some example of this sound? Thanks

17. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Ive owned a double buck before and sold it for a std corvette. I don't think you will ever get rid of that warwick "zing" without killing its character. Round sound isn't something I associate with warwick. I use my fender for that.

Try some flats on the 'vette. Labella's sound so creamy on it.

18. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Yes, I was afraid of hear this, but maybe you're right, I think I must consider try a Fender...I'll try before anything change the strings for some flats, I've ear that d'addario chromes are very nice too..

19. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Field of man, MA
    From the face of Warwick online, that reply doesn't give a single bit of useful information towards the OPs question. There is more than just replying, thought must be applied during the process, too.

20. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Thanks, in case of decide keep my corvette std, wich preamp recommend me to upgrade and have a rounded sound?, the inicial idea was sell my corvette std but seem the buyer have a problem and will not be possible, so I cant afford a new bass without sell mine first.....