Warwick Corvette std with (spector tonepump pre) & mecs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendgod, Nov 6, 2004.

1. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i got a Warwick Corvette std with the stock mec j pickups in it and a spector tonepump preamp in it. (i ordered a tonepump pre and a aggie obp-1 the same day and i got the aggie first so that went in my spector, didnt have my corvette yet) it sounds completely amazing with the tonepump in there but am going to probably switch the 2 pre's eventually (the 2 pre's sound pretty similar though little differences)...

here is my dilema i want to change the pickups in my vette but am not sure what i want to go to, I guess i am not a huge fan of the mecs... I have emg's in my spector and along with the aggie in there i love the sound, so i am debating going emg in my corvette also... i kinda have it narrowed down to either emg's or bartolini's??? but i have never heard or played bartolini's

i would like the 2 basses to be close sounding in volume wise for playing live so i dont have to do a lot of adjusting on my amp between basses...

what do you think???

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Keep in mind that my opinion of EMG's is less than favorable, so clearly my opinion is biased.

I have some DiMarzio Model J's with an Aguilar OBP-3 in my Warwick Corvette and the sound is simply amazing. Its not the brightest setup in the world, but it will cut through the mix and fill out the track incredibly well.

If your choices are limited down to Barts or EMG's, I would go with Barts, but again, keep in mind that I'm not a fan of EMG pickups.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what do you not like about your current sound? What do you want from new pickups? What sort of music do you play?

EMG's / BArts are very different sounds. Lots of discussion in the archives if you search. They're both good brands of pickups, I've had situations where the barts worked and the emg's didn't and vice versa. It's down to what sound you want.
  4. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    sorry i thought i left a responce to this (that was just plain rude)

[silky smoove] yeah i know it's a love or hate relationship with emgs.

[davidmwilson] my current sound was way to muddy with the mecs in there, although it was very very warm, that is deffinately what i am looking for. but some good highs and clarity with all of that warmth is my ideal sound that i am looking for...
    i play rock, melodic metal, solo stuff, etc... so i wanted versatility. my spector i have a emg p/j set in there along with the aggie and love that sound for its clarity, in your face punch, warmth and versatility. so i guess i was looking for something similar, i know different woods but that was my concern my vette is bubinga and it is very warm sounding without plugging it in, i guess i was afraid to lose some clarity that was probably my biggest concern...
    i went to bass northwest and tried a couple of basses out with barts and emg's but i decided to go with the emg's so my sound wouldnt be completely night and day when i switched basses, i will have to say i didnt lose any of that growl or warmth from the mecs to these :)

thanx for looking:)