Warwick corvette users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    So I tried a warwick corvette standard today and really liked it. The feel was perfect and the sound was much to my liking. The only problem was my local shop only had the passive standard. Though i did like the sound I would have liked to try the other corvette models. If you can describe how the proline and fna jazzman models differ in sound it would be very helpful. And which of the 3 models would you buy. Money is not an issue. :confused:
  2. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    well, i think its not as good as an american standard, but being a passive fan i would recomend passive for the "rock" type sound and active for anything else.

PS the pickups suck unless all you do is slap.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if money isn't an issue, why are you buying a corvette? get a thumb or a streamer standard or at the very least the fna jazzman :D
  4. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I'd like to find an FNA jazzman. I tried a thumb and wasn't too impressed. The streamers are just plain UGLY imho.
  5. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    There is currently an FNA Jazzman on ebay and it is the limited edition with the swirly bubinga top. It really is a beautiful looking bass. I own an FNA and its sound is Stingray like. I hav'nt heard the jazzman but I'm sure it would have elements of both the Corvette that you heard and the FNA. That is alot of tone.
  6. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I play a corvette std fretless and love it ...I do run it through an Aguilar DB-924 outboard preamp though.
  7. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    ..and I will as soon as I get a chance ;) ; I currently play a bubinga Corvette standard with passive MEC's and active 2-way electronics (also MEC), and a Streamer standard with Aguilar OBP-1. I get a good bassy <i>thudd</i> out of both of them, but after trying out the FNA Jazzman in the store yesterday I'd definitely trade both of my current Warwicks in to get it.. I'd really like the 3-way tone controls and the same overall feel as the Corvette standard. It would probably suit all my playing needs with the versatility of the pickup configuration and tone controls.
  8. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    My only fretted bass has (for the past 3 years) been the Warwick corvette standard, with the active MECs though.

I felt that it had the most versatile range of tones from the jazz pickups. Bypass the preamp for a pretty decent Fender tone. Hook up the preamp and you get the warwick growl. I would think that the passive pickups are pretty decent, although I would recommend the actives as you still have the option to go passive. I know that the corvettes now sport

Money was an issue, in that I was looking at the 'vettes, thumb bolt-ons, and streamer LXs. Anything more than US$1500 (or thereabouts) you should start looking at custom luthiers as well.
  9. I had a corvette, but now I have a Streamer Jazzman who i think is way better and more adjustable in the sounds
  10. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    I have just bought a passive Corvette Standard 5 with a beautiful ash body with tobacco finish. The bass is light.

I compared it to prolines 4 and 6 strings and a FNA 4. I thought the standard had the most natural tone, almost no noise. I like passive basses.

Never had the chance to try a Jazzman though.
  11. Mslice300

Sep 17, 2007
    I Bought a corvette $$ just over a week ago and I love it the 3
    way switches are very nice
  12. mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    if i remember right, the proline and standard don't sound too terribly different. i think the proline might have a little more snap to it, but i know it gets a really good growl. i tried both (like 5 years ago now) and ended up buying the proline because it was so much lighter. the differences i noticed five years ago as a 19 year old kid who'd only been playing five years (enter grain of salt) were mostly cosmetic. gold hardware, flame maple, ~5 pounds, etc.
  13. I would go with the FNA Jazzman over the other 2 models you mentioned, although I ve never compared all of them side by side. Its the more versatile, probably more than almost any other Warwick. It has a very clear and full bass-y sound too! To some Spector and Ernie Ball come in mind, especially with pick style playing.

I m currently waiting for my full-custom FNA Jazzman to be done soon. :)
  14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a Corvette $$ 5 string. Three way switches for each of the humbuckers, and active and passive switch. I actually play passive quite a lot for some of the reggae and dub I play. That and playing more forward, on top of the neck p/u or in front gives me a nice woody tone. Love this guitar.
  15. matt11

May 19, 2006
    If you are mostly a rock and roll player, I recommend the standard active corvette. I play the active five and find it's got a useful range of rock tones--and it's the only warwick I've played with real THUMP (as close as you can get in a warwick to a p-bass when you want that). Can also get some nice jazz bass-like tones, and has a nice heavy growl if you need that too.
  16. If you run across an older FNA- not Jazzman- check it out. I just got a '98, & it just snarls. MM in the oh-so-sweet spot, 3-band EQ(mine has an upgraded 18V Seymour Duncan pre)& slap contour push-pull. I've owned well over a dozen Warwicks & this one is hands down the best, playability, tone, looks, everything.
  17. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    jazzman all the way. i've got one and i'd recommend it to anyone. i play quite a lot of different styles of music an its sounded great in all of them
  18. contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    A lot of people complain about the MEC pickups and pre-amp, maybe buy the passive and if you don't like the sound drop in some barts or EMGs and a pre-amp and go for the classic Warwick sound.
  19. I think the guy's found a bass in the last four years :)
  20. I've had a Corvette 5 which had awesome grow - perfect for rock or aggressive music. Also had 2 fretless corvette 4's. One was passive and I dropped in active EMG's wired to 18v. That was a KILLER bass. I regret getting rid of both the 5 and the EMG 4.

I hear ya with not caring for the Thumbs, I own a Thumb 6 BO BN, and I think the PU position seriously effects the sound. Also have a fretless corvette 6 and like the PU's as is (and the placement).

If you can stand the weight, I'ld go with the bubinga. Swap out the PU for 18v EMGs and use an external preamp. But YMMV.