1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Corvette vs. EBMM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaunceytoben, Feb 21, 2008.

1. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Well, it was my birthday this week, and my dad lets be know he would like to get me something to cure my GAS. He told me he wants to spend somewhere in the $1000 range, giver or take a few hundred.

Just for some info, im playing thru an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo.

SO, being a HUGE RHCP/Flea fan, i immediately turned the stingray. However, reading around the forums a bit, Ive read great things about the warwick corvette, and they are in approx. the same price range. Also, the small body of the 'vette appeals to me , as i feel like it might be easier for me to play (im a small guy).

I know there both known for they're growl and aggressiveness, but what are some differences I should be looking for? Im heading up to GC this weekend, ill try and play both, but Im just wondering what you guys think about these two. Please covey me either way.

Thanks!

2. If you read these forums often most guys will tell you to go and try one in person...I tried a few Warwicks and found there baseball bat necks foreign and you might dig it.

3. I prefer the EBMM sound over the Warwick sound.

You said youre a smaller guy, have you considered an EBMM Sterling? Smaller body and neck with a 3 way pickup switch that offers some tonal variation.

4. Try them both. I did and ended up with the Warwick, which suprised me becasue I went to buy the EBMM. You just never know...let your ears be the judge.
    You might also try playing them both with a strap. I found the Corvette to work well with a strap due to the design. YMMV. Good Luck

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    $$ corvette. a very versitile bass, capable(imho) of producing stingray style tones, while retaining that signature wick sound. also, imho, i find warwicks to generally be better constructed. don't get me wrong, i the ebmm are rock solid, but i prefer wicks.

6. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Definitely try them both. I absolutely love the Warwick neck and can't stand my buddy's Stingray. He on the other hand hates my Corvette's neck and loves his 'ray.

They are aggressive in different ways. The corvette has a woody almost hollow but growly sound. Kind of like a diesel truck's exhaust. The Stingray has a more middy-high aggressiveness and I'd say it's more like an import's exhaust. Both cool, just different.

7. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Well, Im playing a jazz right now, so im kinda afraid what martyman said, that waricks have thick necks, but no I havent really thought of the sterling. Do they carry the same (or similar) Stingray tone?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The $$ is a very impressive bass. Slappers may find it a bit crowded though. I don't care for the rest of Warwick Vette line.

The Sterling can do the Stingray vibe and then some. It has a smaller body and a Jazz like neck. Many folks like the single pup version but the two pup variants are popular too.

Both are very well built, high quality basses. You're gunna have a tuff time deciding @ GC. Make sure that your demos both have fresh strings.
    Good luck :smug:

9. The Sterling has a bit more of an aggressive tone but it does have the StingRay sound for the most part. You should definitely consider a Sterling if you like the smaller necks. I'm a small guy myself but I really prefer the StingRay 5.

The HH and HS StingRays are tone MONSTERS.

10. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    ahhh you guys are making this decision so tough!!

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    We can't decide for you, it's that simple. These are two very good instrument, and pretty far apart in all departments. It's up to you really.

If you want the stingray tone from the RHCP, then get a Stingray. :)

Also, the corvettes maybe small, but they are heavy (at least the bubinga ones).

You'll see anyway. Try them all, pick up the one you like best, either way, you can't go wrong on quality.

If you get a chance, try spectors as well.

12. Chauncey -- I haven't tried a Warwick but I do have a Sterling. I love the sound and feel, just about everything about it, except for one thing. Being a small guy myself, I find it VERY heavy on the shoulder. I could play sitting down but I prefer standing, and a few minutes in to a gig my shoulder is hurtin'. I'd guess I'm several decades older than you, so you might be better able to take the weight.

13. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    thanks for all the responses everyone....Im going to head up to GC this saturday with my dad, and try and play all three (ray, sterling, wick). Any other basses in the price range to consider? (with punchy, growly tone)

14. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    As SurrenderMonkey, if u find a spector there, try it.

Btw, try them all with and without amp ;)

15. G&L L2000

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah Spectors too but I think GC doesn't carry the upscale ones that compare to Rays and Wicks.

I know, I'm not helping....

17. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I have a 'Vette and a Sterling. Two totally different beasts. Someone earlier mentioned the woody, growly tone of the Warwick and I agree. The Sterling is more "in-your-face" with aggressiveness and Stingray-ish in tone. I find both necks awesome. The Sterling probably has the best neck out there, so fast and thin. The Wick does have a fatter neck, depth-wise, but even my small hands love it. It just feels "broken-in" and a pleasure to play. If you want a warm, not overly aggressive tone, the Warwick is great (I can get some great psuedo-upright bass tones plucking on the neck). But..... the Sterling, like the ultimate girlfriend, you can take anywhere and she'll fit right in just fine :D

Good luck!

18. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    I have a Sterling HS and a Warwick Thumb BO. I've had the Corvette in the past. I had a Stingray on order but cancelled it after finding the Warwick. The Stingray didn't sound distinct enough from the Sterling to justify buying it.

First of all, if you get a Warwick, get the bubinga. The ash will not hold up to wear very well. I've had both types and was very disappointed in the ash.

I've found that my Sterling can cop the Stingray sound and it really does have a great neck. The sound is a little brighter. It is a very enjoyable bass to play. On the other hand the Warwick is a monster. It can really rattle everything in the house--in fact, almost too much so. The Warwick has a flatter fretboard than the MusicMan which I find is a little easier to fret. I don't get the whole Warwick-baseball bat thing. The Warwick neck feels great. It also comes with great straplocks. You can also change strings without cutting them. I've thought of going back and forth with flat wounds on the Warwick. It would be easy to do.

The Musicman has a better designed battery access and trussrod adjustment. Customer service from Musicman is second to none. Customer service from Dana B Goods (Warwick distributor) does not seem to be as responsive. Pluse replacement parts for the Warwick (i.e. JAN III) are difficult to find. Forget ordering parts from Germany because you will pay well over $100 for shipping. The MusicMan would hold its values slightly better than the Warwick. That is why I was able to purchase an as-new Thumb for roughly half the price of a new one.

Both Warwick and MusicMan are second to none in quality. You couldn't go wrong with either. I would also venture to say that they are the two best mass produced basses made. I would have a very tough decision choosing between the two, but if forced I might pick the Warwick for its tone.

19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1

You can get such value for your money with used Spectors at GC...I really don't think they know what used Spectors are worth. If you see used Spector made in Czech Republic (euro model), give it a shot. They are similar to EBMM and Warwick, but I like them better than the other two.

If its definitely down to 'Ray vs. 'Vette, I would go with the 'Ray. Its a bit more versatile IMO than a 'Vette. But, go with whicever one makes you happiest.

20. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Go in there, play everything under the son, decide what you like, then buy used. Your money will go further.