Warwick Corvette vs. FNA Jazzman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Jun 1, 2004.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    The last time I bought a bass, I played a Warwick Corvette, and I have never forgotten it. It was full to overflowing with growl! I was able to tame it by favoring the neck pickup more. In short I loved it and if I had the money, I would consider buying one.

I have a few questions. Since I have not ever played a FNA Jazzman. I have converted to using a 5 string and whatever i do I would remain a 5 player.

Which has more growl a Corvette of FNA Jazzman?

Which has the most variety of tones?

Wgich would be your pick of the 2 and why?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats a tough one...
    my position was easier, as I was looking for a 6.

Do a search, and you'll see that the FNA Jazzman also got a lot praise - and I think its a good one, as well
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Due to bubinga body the corvette std is more growly but the FNA jazzman has smoother tones and a huge range of them.
    But 'vette std is pasive :bawl: , when i save the money im going to talk with warwick for a custom streamer FNA jazzman something like a stage II but with J-MM pkups, round
    4000€ or 5000€, i think or an FNA jazzman thumb
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I played around w/ an FNA Jazzman last night @ GC. I didn't care for the neck, the fingerboard felt completely flat, no radius to it that I noticed. I'm sure its popular to some folks, but I didn't care for it.
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Corvette Std. can be had with a 2 band active preamp actually on all models, it's just the most basic 4 string model which has passive pups and electronics and you can even get an active pre in that bass. I own the FNA Jazzman and I assure you it is an absolutely amazing bass. The string spacing on Warwick 5's is tight, REAL tight, but it makes for amazingly fast fingerstyle work. slapping is not easy for most people who pick them up, but when you get used to it they're awesome and the slapping is easy enough, just takes practice. As I recall the Corvette Std. is a little growlier, but not nearly as versatile as the FNA. I bought the FNA, but you may want the Std. Honestly they're both awesome, the only other bass I was really thinking of getting at the time was a 5 string Std. Good luck.
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I now have a Lakland 55-02. It is a really good bass. I do wish it had more growl though.

One thing I like about it is that you can have a jazz bass sound and a MM sound to it and a few others as well. I really dig the MM sound, but I am not sure the Lakland does it the best. I don't think anyone makes a pickup that adequately reproduces the MM sound quite like the original.

I had a Jazz bass and I loved it, but I wanted more character and umph to the growl.

I think right now it is just GAS. Perhaps the urge will pass.
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Ah, my never-ending struggle with Warwick. I love pretty much everything about the big W, but sometimes I can't get past the FB.

Sometimes I'll pick one up and have a great time on it, but sometimes it just completely turns me off. My SS1 was setup very well, and I could deal with it just fine. The times I haven't enjoyed Warwicks were mostly at GC, but I think you could guess why... :meh:

I did play a Corvette FNA Jazzman at GC, and was very impressed. Great tone from the MM.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

FNA Jazzman had some nice tone to it.