Warwick Corvette Vs. Jazz Bass Vs. Ernie Ball SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-ace!, Mar 3, 2005.

1. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi I'm trying to find a good all round bass and I think I've narrowed it down to the Warwick Corvette, Fender Jazz Bass, and the Ernie Ball SUB (cheaper stingray). For live situations I will be using a plectrum to play (fast hardcore/punk) but I also like to do alot of slap and finger style when I'm at home practicing/jamming. So like I said I want something versatile.

I currently own (shameful to say) a late 80's/early 90's SLB 2 Aria Pro 2 bass which has a good neck but not much else going for it (dead frets, dodgy electronics, horrible look, etc). The neck is pretty 'fast/thin' compared to a P-bass neck, which I really dont like (too thick for me and all the ones I've played have had a too high action IMO, same goes for all fender actually), Am I the only one who thinks this?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated it, as I've tried loads of basses (including those mentions aboved) and can't decide :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with the Warwick corvette out of those choices. THe SUB is good but itd be better to get a used Stingray if you could. In that case,a real stingray is preferable over a corvette, but a corvette is preferable over a SUB. Also im assuming you mean a real Corvette and not a Rockbass Corvette.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with this 100%

Threadstarter: at the end of your post you said that you haven't been pleased with Fender necks in general, yet you listed a Fender Jazz as an option...??? I'm confused... :confused:
  4. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    yeah I'm talking about a real warwick corvette. yeah I listed the jazz bass because I keep getting told by friends that thats the one to have so I'm kinda giving it a chance as much as I can but I still havent felt fireworks from playing any fenders (no offence to fender players :)). I just prefer a faster neck. Maybe its the neck wood, all the fenders I've played have been badly set up or something but they just doesnt feel right to me.

figjam you say corvette is preferable over a SUB but not over a real stingray. why is this? arent the SUBs any good?

also is the warwick versatile, because I've only heard it with its famous warwick growl.
  5. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I own a corvette. It sounds fantastic. I wouldnt call it versatile; it has its niche of sound, but that sound fits almost anywhere. If you can get one used, consider it; they age well.
  6. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    I have a SUB 4-stringer - been playing it for about a year now...its one fantastic bass, i can tell ya...

i think i was lucky cos as soon as i played it in the shop, i knew it was the one - great action, perfect finish, awesome tone, one of a kind...!

in terms of sound, if ur into the passive fender jazz sound, it might not be ur piece of cake...BUT, but - i have to say that its pretty damn versatile, especially if u get the active version - and you'll love the stingray sound you get anyway...nothing quite like it - lots of bassses can sound a like a jazz, but few can sound like a stingray!

highly recommended...can't beat it for price
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The SUBs are good but you must understand they are abudget version of the Stingray, whereas the Corvette is the real deal, no cut corners. THe SUB uses poplar for the body wood.Also, cheaper paint is used and the body shape isnt as contoured. I have a thing against budget basses. It is possible for a bass to cost in that price range without cutting corners, and i feel an SUB is just a poor excuse for a stingray,

As far as a stignray being better than a corvette, i Love my Sterling. It is the best bass i have played, in terms of feel, quality, and overall performance. EBMM basses are just amazing.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked up a SUB today and I will tell anybody, play a SUB and listen for yourself before you decide that you don't want it. Figjam just admitted that he "has a thing against budget basses" which is cool, but it definitely is not a reall solid reason not to check out the bass yourself. Over the last nineteen years, I have owned six Musicman basses included pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays, a Sabre, a SUB 4, and two SR5s. I have also played a fair number of Sterlings and Bongos. The SUB takes no backseat at all when it comes to sound or fit and finish. It is made less expensively, but it is by no means a cheap instrument. If you check out a SUB and you like the sound and look, get it. If you would prefer the more expensives Musicman models, go for them, but be your own judge. :cool:
  9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    Budget Version!!??? :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

The SUB's a MM instrument in its own right - no "budget version" - yes, it CAN sound like a stingray, but its not a budget stingray...plus the finish holds up better after gigs anyway... :p

sorry, i jus had to clarify that with you...
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Youre the first person to say that the SUB is not a budget stingray, taht ive encountered at least. If its not a budget instrument, then howcome they have a SUB , and an SUB sterling? Seems to me the trend is to make more affordable versions of the classics, with similiar features but cheaper.
  11. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    thats cos you haven't yet encountered a passionate Musicman SUB bass owner like myself - yeh i know its a budget version, do u hav to remind me!? i can comfortably go to sleep at night only by reassuring myself that its not a cheaper version of the 'ray...is that so hard to let go!? :crying:

i love my bass, leave it alone...! :bawl:
  12. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The SUB's a nice bass actually. It is definitley a budget version of a Stingray, but it's pretty much close enough for the price. I thought one of the features was that they didn't actually cut any corners, as you said ;).

The Geddy Jazz Bass has a nice thin neck. Stingrays have thickish necks too right?
  13. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    does anyone play or have any experience with the newer aria pro basses?? are they any good? I've been on their (not so hot) website and the aria pro IGB-65 looks nice.

do you think the neck would be similar to the neck on my old aria?

whats the general view of arias anyway? anyone?
  14. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    I don't care for Stingrays at all, I guess they're OK if you play with a pick. Anytime I've ever heard one it seems to me the player ALWAYS plays with a pick (not that that's a bad thing, to each his own) and it sounds like they're scraping a metal pole. I have a Warwick Corvette (NOT a rockbass) and freakin' love it. Best money I ever spent, it plays awesome, sounds awesome, perfectly balanced and has the tightest B string I ever felt on a 34" scale. Simply amazing, I just can't say enough about this bass.
    I haven't played a fender Jazz but they do sound pretty good, but , like the poster, I don't care for fender products either.
  15. Try them out and see what you like.
    Sounds like the Warwick - neck is right for you. I love the neck and playability of my Corvette. It is "the real deal." A very heavy bass though, so forget it if you have back issues:)
    The Jazz bass, SUB and Stingray really are completely different beasts. Apples and oranges if you ask me. I really dig Jazzbasses, not such a fan of Stingrays. I only practice my Corvette, though, so my technique is screwed when I play other basses.
    I dig their tone for funk-grooves, though.

Try them out and see what you like. Out of your description I would guess you'd like the Warwick, but you gotta try for yourself.
  16. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't know much about the SUB, but in a Corvette vs a Fender Jazz, I'd definitely get the Corvette, and I play a Jazz. I'm suprised you have the Jazz in the line-up actually, the Jazz isn't in that price range at all.

Unless you meant an Active Jazz (Deluxe), then it'd be a different story, in which case you would have to choose. But that passive jazz has nothing on that Corvette.
  17. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    thanks for the responses guys :) I'm going to try and stick to passive if I can (as I'm real plug in and play guy and all my basses so far have been passive) but if not I'll venture into the world of active.

Norwegianwood, you said that the warwicks are heavy but on the basses websites it says that the stingrays are about 1lb heavier than warwicks and I'd probably go for a corvette with a swamp ash body as these are lighter than their burbenga body basses, i think? is this true?

for all the wariwck owners here, is it possible to roll off some of that famous warwick growl if needed? I do some post rock instrumental stuff (think mogwai) so I dont really want the full on warwick growl when I'm doing that. I'm just thinking in terms of versatility.
  18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) Active -vs- Passive:
    You only have to change a battery once every few months. It's not such a big deal ;)

2.) Weight:
    MM basses are heavy, too. But if you compare them to other basses, you'll feel that they are heavier.
    The ash used on Corvettes is hard ash, not swamp ash. it's a bit denser and heavier, making a brighter sound that swamp ash. But it will most likely be a bit lighter than bubinga.

3.) To get less treble, pan more towards the neck p-up, cut a bit treble with the tone controls or on your amp.
  19. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I've almost got all three of those basses, but mine are just a little off the mark...

1. 1992 Fender Jazz Bass Plus V (closest current issue is the American Deluxe series)
    2. 1995 & 2002 Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray's (only my two are fretless)
    3. 2003 Warwick Corvette Proline (but mine's a custom made 30" scale fretless)

I'd have to say, you won't be unhappy with any of the three--Corvette, SUB, or Jazz. BUT, they all sound completely different. Each one is versatile in it's own right, and could fit in in just about any situation. Go with the one that sounds the most like you want to sound.