1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette vs Modulus Q4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dimensionx, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dimensionx

dimensionx

Mar 27, 2006
    Hey, I had a few questions regarding these bass brands. The models I have in mind are the Warwick Standard Corvette 4-String Bass, and the Modulus Q4 4-String Bass.

I wanted to know, in general, which one was lighter and which out of the two has a smaller/thinner Base head. I haven't been able to compare the two in real life, so I was hoping some of you bass experts could help me out... Thanks :)

2. dimensionx

dimensionx

Mar 27, 2006
    Bump... :meh:

3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    From my limited experince I would 99% guarantee the Modulus will be lighter. As far as neck feel goes, they are opposite ends of the spectrum. The Modulus is thinner and very fast, with a smooth feel. The Warwick has a much thicker, more natural feeling neck. Not to mention one is graphite and the other could be a number of different woods. The headstock on the Modulus is quite tall, but thin. The Warwick has a small, kind of sqaured off look to it. The sound from each is quite different as well. The Modulus has a crsytal clear sound, very hi-fi. The bottom end is something it is lacking though. The Warwick, depending on the pickups, has a killer deep tone and more of an aggressive mid and not so clear highs.

I know people often say "It should be based on what you will use it for"...... Well this is a prime example. Each has its own distinct sound that's a total opposite from the other.

4. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    The low end lacking on a Modulus? On which planet is this again? Hehe guess I just disagree. I would say that the main difference between these two basses is that with a Modulus you will 99.9% of the time have an excellent bass, whereas with a warwick you will have a 50% chance of getting a bass that plays like crap and sounds only marginally better. :p

5. ...with a warwick you will have a 50% chance of getting a bass that plays like crap and sounds only marginally better?...
    On which planet is this again? Hehe guess I just disagree.

Right back atcha, from the "other side".:D

6. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    The Corvette, perhaps with different pickups, is much more of a do-all bass. A lot of people complain that the Modulus sound isn't as versitale as they'd like. Just something to consider.....

Plus, I think the Corvette will be cheaper, if that's an issue.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A Modulus Q4/5/6 is a very versitile bass in my opinion. I had 2 Q5's and they were great. I've had 1 Warwick and kept it about 4 days. Hated it.

8. dimensionx

dimensionx

Mar 27, 2006
    What is the common complaint about Warwicks? I have a bassist friend who has a Modulus Flea 4-string bass that he bought recently, but prefers his Warwick Corvette (I think which is also 4-string)... I'm not sure whether his Warwick is double buck or not, but he says he loves it....

Any feedback about the two is appreciated. Just trying to gather as much info as possible about these two basses. Feel free to give information that doesn't answer my question, any feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance :)

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I agree that the Quantum is a very versitile bass. I own a Q6 (see my avatar) as well as a 5 string Corvette and I find the Modulus to be every bit as, if not more, versitile that the Warwick.

10. I agree in that both are excellent quality. I assume it was a hyperbole for warwick cause I wouldn't think one would actually think they put out bad of products 50% of the time. And if someone did, I know who to trust when reviewing basses ;) .... but Warwick has great quality control. In my 4 Warwicks I've owned, i've never had a complaint, neck issue, deadspot, complain spot, or anything to come up with that doesn't come from abuse which these can take really well. Only thing is they are higher maintanence with natural finished requireing waxing and possibly discoloration if u sweat a lot and don't take care of it. or you can do what I do and get a satin finished warwick :hyper:
    I also don't see the point in comparing these completely opposite beasts beyond that. Good luck.

11. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    You just have to try to find a few and play them for yourself. They are both basses that people tend to either really appreciate or say "just not for me." You just have to decide for yourself.
    Guess I forgot the smiley icon on my last post...:D :p

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They are both very nice, with tones as different as two tones could be. I suggest trying both.

13. I'm planning on getting a Modulus over a Warwick because they are lighter