Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette Vs. Thumb Bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Oct 25, 2005.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    What really makes the Thumb that much better than the Corvette??? Besides the active electronics, which I opted for the passive on my Corevette, what else??? Is the ovangkol that much tonally better that bubinga???? We are talking about bolt on models, too.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Nothing. The Thumb is an ergonomic nightmare. The worst playing bass I've ever owned. Couldn't sell it quick enough. Tone wise the Thumb is an unusual beast. Excellent tone and string balance but a bit one dimensional IMO. I dig the versatility of the Corvette better. I say stick with the 'vette.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My thumb NT balances very well. I won't sell it for anything!

4. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I thought about putting a set of bartolini J-pickups in my Corvette. Are they worth the $120 bucks??? Are there better sounding pickups for the money???? Would ya'll recommend putting active stuff in there??? Are there any active/passive electronic pickup sets out there???

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Eh? No way. Look at the list of famous and influential endorsers that play the Thumb. Almost everyone agrees about the neck dive but to say that the bass is an ergonomic nighmare is a bunch of childish crap.

The body size is small and comfortable. The neck is slim and fast. The string spacing is excellent for fast fingerstyle playing (I'm not much of a slapper). While somewhat heavy for it's size, that just gives the bass a really solid feel to it.

A very very comfortable bass to play sitting down and when standing, it didn't take much to get used to the neck dive.

Sounds like either someone set it up wrong for you or you had a personal preference that the Thumb was not meeting for you. Either way it sounds like you didn't like it. That's o.k., it's not for every one. Obviously, especially you.

One dimensional?

You mean that it always sounds like a Thumb, right? That is the most excellent thing about this bass! That's the biggest reason folks buy it! If you wanted to sound like a Stingray or a Jazz why the heck didn't you buy a Stingray or Jazz????

Other than that, the fact that it is used in so many genre's successfully expose this statement as false.

You don't like the way it sounds? Fine. See my previous statements.

The Corvette is a great bass. If you haven't already done it, make sure you check out both of them if you can.

What makes the Thumb a better bass than the Corvette?

Personal preference.

Just be careful to not let your personal preference blind you to something's truly excellent qualities.

:D

Joe.

6. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    rt Pic
    I have Barts in my Thumb.

[​IMG]

Here's a small clip/demonstration of how they sound, with the preamp flat.

Click here.

The order of the tones are Middle position, Bridge, then Neck position.

By the difference in usable tones that you hear, obviously you can tell that this is a very versatile bass.

Joe.

EDIT: Pic Added.

7. You forgot to mention, the thing is HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stress that enough, the thing is a fricken boat anchor!

I agree with everything Birmingham said though.

8. Well, it's heavier than an Ibanez. But what isn't? ;)

9. My RKB900 is my pride and joy :smug:

Heh, but yeah, you're right.

Honestly though, I own a Ric which by no means is a ligthweight, but man, having gigged with a Thumb... and having been muscle trained 4 days out of each week for the past two years of my life, I can safely say that the thing left me feeling it on my shoulder the next morning! And I'm at the spring time of my youth!

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Bah.

My next birthday will be my 40th. I have bad knees, arthritis, still recovering from a blood clot in my right calf and have trouble sleeping every night so I am never fully rested.

I gig with my Thumb.

The first time I did I was amazed at how I never even noticed the weight OR neck dive until right at the beginning of the set or right at the end of the set.

Some of my basses have been very lightwieght. I feel the just as tired or sore the next day whether I was using my Thumb or my Squier-P.

You guys are weanies.

:rollno:

Joe.

11. Bump

12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Calm down Joe, we're just stating our opinions.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sorry guys, I should have included a smilie.

Danged internet.

Joe.

14. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've gigged with my Corvette for several years and will echo the sentiment regarding heaviness. Also, there are times when I wish it had a mid-boost in additional to the treble and bass.

Now having said all that, I still love it! It is the most solid feeling bass that I've ever played and it's tone is superb. I have noodled around on Thumb basses in the shops before, but not enough to draw any real comparisons. The concave back seems like a positive thing ergonomically. I know my Spector is very comfortable.

Because the only real differences between the Corvette and the Thumb are body wood and pickup placement, I would think that any real differences would be subtle. Try them both and see which one "speaks to you".

15. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ok, NT thumb basses have 5(or 7) piece necks, corvettes do not. Corvette necks are solid Ovankaol. There is no such thing as a NT Corvette, and I like NT basses better, but that's simply my preference. The elecs on the NT Thumb are 3-way active elecs. Corvette (standard) elecs are 2-way passive. Pickup placement is also different, even between the 4 and 5. All of these things effect the tone, so you'd just have to see which one suits you better.

16. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    I like my thumb, it plays nice and sounds good. I never thought it was too heavy either, 4+ hour gigs and no back/shoulder problems... but I'm young still. I would def. say that the thumb bass is not an ergonomic nightmare. It curves nicely to my belly.

17. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
  18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I owned a NT Thumb 4 around '97, brass nut and before Warwick apparently started playing with the "Suck" meter during Thumb production. For me, the bolt-on version would not come close to the Corvette because I prefer the bubinga body. The Corvettes are great playing/sounding basses for the money though. . .

That was a useless post, but I have to run. Sorry.............. :rollno:

19. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Dont the corvettes come in both active and passive configs?

20. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    I actually played both last night and I like the Corvette much better. The thumb's tone is nice but the action handling is just kind of weird, too high up IMO. I had a Rockbass Corvette for a while, it was nice, if I were to get a Wawrwick again it'd be a Corvette.