Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Sep 9, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Try this again. I screwed up the title last time.

Well I did something I shouldnt have. That being an impulse buy on a bass that I know nothing about and never played. Just waiting for it to ship today and see how long I have to wait once I get tracking number.

This is it...http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141437

It sounded like a good deal and always wanted to try a Warwick to see what the big deal is. I have played a thumb(didnt like this one/bad bad bad action) and a FNA which I almost bought but got a stingray instead. So Warwicks are something new to me.

From what I have learned this is similiar to all the higher end active basses, but this is passive. Am I correct. Did I do good with my experiment or did I fail without learning more about it. The seller wasnt sure of the woods. Serial number a08127601 Any ideas??

Darn I have a hard time passing up good deals.

2. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    It's a good bass, so maybe will you like it!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I had posted something, but it's gone. :eyebrow:

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    a08127601 - as written A 081 276 01. That is: 2001, A = first month of year, January; B = Feb, C = March, ...
    Body wood is bubinga.
    Neck: ovangkol, steel-reinforced, steel trussrod.
    FB: wenge.

I have a 6er. It is a very nice bass, well worth that money. Sounds very good in passive, too - I play passive lots of times, even though mine's got 2-band eq.
    Sound: strong, growly lows and lo-mid, compressed hi-mid. Very responsive to where and with which technique you play.
    Downside: bubinga is very dense and so its a bit heavy. Also, you have to wax once every month - but it sure lloks very nice if you do it! :smug:

Enjoy, have fun! ;)

5. marcbass

marcbass Guest

Apr 19, 2004
    It's a great bass for that amount of money. I've owned a 6 string fretless Corvette Standard Bubinga and it sounded great and feelt great. I had to sell it to afford my Fender Jazzbass -65.

But since I'm a Warwick sponsered bass player I'm thinking about buying one again. Or maybe go for a fretless Thumbbass 6 string instead.. But you didn't like the Thumbs so.... :)

But it's a great buy!!!

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

So whats the verdict on the passive vs the usual active pre's? Am I missing out?? Also I have heard good and bad in regards to the pups. Any recommendations?

7. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    It might actually benefit you to not have their active. The majority of the people I have spoken to, and my self included, don't like the electronics Warwick uses today. You'd be better off spending a little bit of money to put some EMG's or another nice set of actives in there. The cavities have enough room for anything.

But if the passives do you well, then you don't need to invest in anything you don't want to.

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    For the price you paid your getting a hell of a bass. I usally prefer passive basses. Either way your going to get a good solid tone that will cut alot. If you like warwick tones of the thumb and such you will like this/

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played my buddies new fretless 4 and it was one of the best fretles 4's i'v played. definately a good deal.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The passive tone is nice. As I said I play a lot in passive mode, and only give a little boost or cut when the situation/type of music needs it. For the rest, I play with different techniques and with different p-up balance settings, and that covers a whole lot

And Marcbass, you have an impressive list of gear there...
    BTW I thought there was a character-limit to the profile... :eyebrow: ;)

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Odie:
    If you finally don`t like the bass, I`ll buy it.
    I`ll be travelling to the US next month and I`m looking for a Warwick Corvette.

Papersen

12. do corvettes have an active/passive switch or are there actives and passive models???

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How did he do that? I can't get mine to display that much!

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think you did fine, Jamie. I've looked at the passive Corvettes in the past, and liked them.

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx Ken,

For the first time I feel guilty for getting a new toy. But I figure I can sell it for the same I bought it for if need be.

Are you playing the Stein's or the FNA most of the time?

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I play my Sterling about half of the time, with the rest split among my harem... I'm just a gear slut.

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Both: there's a passive 4 and the active models have a push-pull switch (vol pot)

18. Yes, the FNA Jazzman is one of the most sonically versatile basses on the planet. Beware of playing one; it's how I got my 1st Warwick, a Corvette Std fretless. My hands simply fell in love with it and I smoked my credit card. Don't get your hands on a FNA Jazzman unless you have at least $1200US to spare; the urge will be overwhelming.

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jamie - when is it due?

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

tommorow. Tuesday.....tick.....tock