1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by topper, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I'm considering trading my current bass for a Warwick Corvette Standard 4. Nobody in my area sells Warwicks, so I have to go on reputation and user reviews alone.

I've read a lot of reviews that say this is a very heavy bass and a few mention that it suffers from neck dive when worn on a strap. I can probably deal with the weight, but I don't want to be holding the neck up all night.

Any thoughts on this? Any Warwick players out there experience neck dive?

2. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve owned 3 Corvettes (Standard, Standard Ash and Proline) and never had neck dive problems with any of them. I can`t say the same about the Thumb BO I used to have.

3. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    hi, could you write a little review about your corvette proline, please?

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have a Corvetter Standard made in 97. Bubinga body, weng neck and fb, brass frets and nut. Really nice bass, it has the passive mecs in it.

I've never had a problem with neck dive.

I have however played a friends Thumb and that was a whole different story for neck dive, just kept pulling it's self down. I was able to counter act is for the most part by adjusting the stap height and the way I positioned it.

Great basses, should check them out for sure!

Peace

-Benny

5. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I have had no problems with neck dive on my 'vette $$.

6. I also have one, it is a standart with passive mec p-ups. No neck diving for sure. But its quite heavy. Specially for me, with my broken colarbones. I dont use it alive for that reason. It has a unique sound, one of the most defined sounds i konw, with its own personality, and is very versatile. Perferct for funk, fusion or rock.
    If u wanna, check the remix i done for ~where do i fit in~ on my page linked below (palco mp3). It is record with the warwick.
    Hug!

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I forgot to mention and second what most everyone else has mentioned about the weight.

I'm a big guy though so it doesn't tend to be a problem.

Peace

-Benny

8. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah it is heavy, but it really doesn't bother me one bit.

9. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    No problem.
    Although body size is identical to the others I`ve owned, weight is sustancially superior to ash and similar to Bubinga.
    It`s more bottom end than the Ash model but brighter than the Bubinga one.
    The neck is Flamed Maple vs Ovangkol (it`s a 94 model) and its profile is a bit chunkier. The main difference is the preamp. The stock MEC was Ok, but I`ve replaced it with EMG pups and an Aguilar OBP1. Huge improvement.

Overall, my favorite of the bunch

Here`s a link with some clips I`ve recorded sometime ago:

Link
    Check post #7

Hope it helps.

10. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006

11. I've played a Corvette 5 for almost 4 years now. Never a problem with neck dive, though it did take me a little while to figure out a good strap height for it. It's a little heavy, but after getting a thicker strap, I don't even notice it.

I love it. It's a beautiful looking and sounding bass. To get a good idea of how it sounds, go to my band's page (in my sig) and listen to "Pat on the Back." The bass is all Warwick there.

12. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    I've had a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 with an ash body for about a year now and it's actually lighter than either my Spector or Bongo. No neck dive either.

I assume it's the ash body, played a similar configured Corvette Double Buck and it was way heavy

WarwickCorvette.jpg

13. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I have a 1999 Corvette FNA 5 string with gold hardware. MEC active/passive wiht 3 band EQ. Nice low end.

Yes, its heavy but one look at the construction and you will see its built like a tank.

Never had neck dive. Looks like it would but no, never had that happen.

The neck is not like a skinny jazz bass ...

Paul

14. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I had two Bubingas and one ash. None of them felt heavy to me. I liked the bubinga ones better than the ash. Bubinga is very hard and resists scratching. In addition, the finish on the ash ones scratches easily and it gets shinny where you rest your thumb.

I currently have a MM Sterling, but I would like to add another bubinga Corvette sometime in the future. Nice bass.

15. i have a 96 corvette proline & it's the *lightest* bass I've ever owned . the neck is very small & flat & fast & has no neck dive at all.

It's strange that there are so many difference in these basses. maybe because mine is a tiny bit older or something....

16. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've owned two Corvettes, both standards, but one was a fretless 4 and the other a fretted 5. I loved both basses, and only sold them to buy the Warwicks I have now. No complaints at all, they were both great basses.

17. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I'll be the odd man out and say I have problems with neck dive on my Warwick Corvette Std. It's a 5 string fretless, bubinga body, ovangkol neck, brass nut. A little on the heavy side where a wider strap helps. I tend to wear my basses on the low side, at about a 60deg angel. If I tighten the strap and wear it higher, neck dive is not an issue. Unfortunately this is not a comfortable playing position for me. I still love the bass and will never get rid of it and I don't regret buying it, but my playing it for a night of 3-4 sets are over. It just wears me out. Great tone and playability!

18. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have a Corvett active/passive on the bay right now. I'm selling it because of weight. I never did have neck dive, but the neck didn't point as high as my Cirrus either.

19. weird. Anyone know why my corvette proline is so much lighter than all the others?

Did they change something after 96?

20. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I believe the prolines are Maple, not Bubinga. I could be wrong, but that's what their spec sheet says for current production. Oddly enough, they show the weights to be the same from the Standard to the Proline.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021