Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick = Crap??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Aug 31, 2001.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Are Warwick basses that bad???????

I´m seriusly thinkin about buying a FNA 5, but every time I read a post about them I feel like I´m going to lose my money on a piece of crap.

Is there any Warwick owner that could give me some "serius" advice, opinion, thougths or whatever??????

Thanx guys

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have owned warwicks and in my opinion they are like everybody else they have good stuff and bad stuff and more bad stuff. The only models I really like are the Thumbs (not bo) streamer stage 1 and the dolphin (pro). I regret getting rid of my thumb, that is the last bass that i would ever get rid of after that I only buy "lifer" basses. To me any of the other basses are not any better than any of the other stuff thats out there. mho

3. I'm Ibanez endorser, but i really like the Streamer Stage I... tried one in a local store earlier this week.. it rocks ! nice mids & lows

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    So, what exactly have people been saying about em'? I've heard complaints of the Thumbs being neck heavy, and some aren't crazy about the "Warwick" sound in the studio (totaly subjective IMHO), but what are the complaints about the FNAs? I've gigged with a friend's 5 string FNA. Not my ideal bass, but it wasn't at all bad.

- Frank

5. I tried tryed the streamer 1 and no matter what i did it sounded very very muffled, like it was being played under someones bed, i also tried the thumb which i thought was amazing.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´d read a lot of complaints about electronics (bad knobs, noises, etc) and bass overall balance. Some about costumer service, too...

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, they're made great. It's either a love/hate. I played alot of them. I feel that the necks are too chunky & I don't like the MEC pick-ups or pre-amp. I played some w/Bartolini's & I really didn't like the sound of those.

It dosen't make them bad basses, just basses that I wouldn't buy.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nino:
    Do you know if Spector has a model with a MM like pup??, thats the reason the Warwick FNA gets my atention, it looks "like" a Spector but has the MM pup

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Ditto.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    CaracasBass, what price are you able to get the FNA for? The G****r Center near me had a new one selling for $799 a few months ago. I probably should have grabbed it. Now it's priced back up to $1349.

- Frank

11. I have a Corvette Standard 5, and right now it is my main instrument, I used to use my G&L more, but the Warwick has a very distinct tone....I love mine... But like NB said it is either love or hate....

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, I´ll talk with the guys at Bass Central in Florida to get a good price(I´m in Venezuela, and here nobody sells Warwick, so I have to buy it in USA), but it will be around $1300 + shipment (this is the part where my bank account screams :D )

13. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had my FNA 5 since February.It works for me,nice neck and ballsy sound.I'm not real crazy about the looks of it,but that's how I feel about almost all their basses and looks have nothing to do with tone anyway.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    :rolleyes:
    I have a corvette pro-line from the early 90s before you could buy them in the states! I like the warwicks! Love the funk sound i get out of her! But i must say iam not as crazy about the new warwicks as i was with the older ones! But still you must try try try one first!

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love 'em. if i had all the money in the world, i'd still be playing warwicks (albeit warwicks built to my exact specifications :D )

i really love the dolphin, streamer stage II, and thumb. i like the looks of the thumb the best but it's so damn unbalanced. the streamer's better, and the dolphin is perfect. i just played a near 3 hour show with no break tonite, and my shoulder's hurtin.

but i sounded killer :D

jason

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Jason: I knew you were gonna appear somewhere in this thread :D

I've owned a Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 string. I Liked it yes but it was too boomy for what I wanted :)

If I had all the money in the world, I would still be buying some custom made Salases! :D

DM

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There are no basses in the Spector line w/a MM pick up. You could ask him. He might be able to make a USA w/that p/u. A bolt on (about $2200 list) or a neck thru (about $4500 list). E-mail him @ info@spectorbass.com.

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I found my Corvette Standard 5 to be abnormally heavy. I think it depends on the chunk of wood, according to my luthier friend. They also tend to be neck heavy, meaning they may tend to flop if you don't strap the bass higher. This may be your natural position, so maybe it won't matter. The three-way electronics are of course better than the two-way. So, the Thumb is a good choice with its electronics package and ergonomic design. I had no problem with the neck. I had both the ovangkol and all wenge necks. I liked the wenge for its luxurious feel. Now to the sound. The Warwicks generally have a great rich deep tone, and sound really nice slapped and tapped. I think everyone should own one or two once or twice so that they can truly evaluate them and make their own honest assessment.

19. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Well, $2200 its way out of my budget, not to mention $4500, but it could be fun just ask him (Stuart Spector) about it.... just to know :D

20. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I tend not to post much about my thumb (4 b/o) these days - its (relatively speaking) quite old as its a '94 and doesn't really reflect what you can go and by in a shop. In 7 years NOTHING has gone wrong with it, I use a wide strap and play it quite high which stops the neck dive. I love the tone, feel of the neck, shape of the body, the good old brass adjustanut is great.

Everytime I put a new set of strings on it just sings to me. If I had to buy another Warwick (as I'm not selling this one) I'd go for a second hand one built sometime pre '95.