1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick dead in studio!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GradyBass, Oct 7, 2009.

1. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    Hey all,

So last night, while getting ready to record on an album for a jazz manouche artist out here in Paris, my Warwick, err... decided to not work? We plugged in, and only got quiet, farty-like distortion from it. Sounded like the battery, so I changed that pronto and no change. The input jack is tight, and nothing visibly seems wonky in the control cavity.

Sorry, to go back two steps, I play a 99 Warwick Corvette 6 with a Bartolini 2-channel pre.

I've recorded with this and my other Warwicks plenty of times, and have never run into this. Unfortunately, we laid down 12 tracks on a studio bass lying around... an Ibanez Soundgear 4 string. Not pleased. It took me about 10 minutes to let it go and put some music down, cause I can't cry over what obviously ain't working. It is something I did not want to go through (obviously), but versatility isn't a bad thing, I suppose. We recorded live, not multitracked, so I had to come up with new approaches to these songs. I haven't played a 4 string bass, my double bass excluded, in years.

Now for the question- what the heck could be wrong with my bass?! We go back in the studio tomorrow night for one more round of recording, and it'd be swell to have my baby back. If not, I'll just have to take it to Eric's in LA when I get back home..

thanks for the input, ya'll!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's why I carry a backup bass.

3. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    Usually I would, but I only brought one bass to France.

[/bad excuse]

4. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I assume the amp was fine? If it was fine maybe try another battery and check inside the control cavity for a loose wire/improper soldering.

5. Definitely sounds like a dead battery to me.

6. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    I was DI into the console... and I changed the battery. Well, I s'pose I should change it again. Never know, could have double duds.

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Nothing cuts (out) like a Warwick! Hope you get things sorted out.

8. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Change the battery again Grady.
    What you describe sounds exactly like a dead battery.
    Good luck mate.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    and check for loose connection between the wire and the battery connector

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Same thing happened to me last night in the middle of rehearsal, with a passive P. It totally cut out, then came in real quiet and fuzzy, out again, etc. Went home and plugged it into my practice amp, it worked fine. Brought the practice amp back to rehearsal, didn't work. Went home and played through the same amp, same bass, same cord for 20 minutes straight, not a problem.

Damned extension cord the amps were plugged into was shot.

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    ^ That.

Could be dry solder, which you wouldn't always see.

12. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    Went in for night 2 of recording, and brought my 'wick in the HOPES she would work. Naturally, it didn't. I replaced the battery, and plugged into my practice amp at my apartment and it worked fine! Checked the solders and they all looked good, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at.... then the same thing when I got into the studio. Little volume and distorted. It really sounds like a battery, as it's the same symptoms I've had before when my battery died. OH well, I put down 4 more songs (which makes it 16 songs in less than 10 hours!!) on the Ibanez Soundgear. Again, not the bass I WANTED to record on, especially with my darling Warwick Corvette 6 sitting there, out of commission. Very humbling =P

I guess just an exercise in versatility! When I get back home to LA, I'll take it to Eric's, and revive this here thread just to let you know what it ended up being.

13. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    If it worked else where and not in the studio, I'd say:

Bad cable (and the angle you were plugged in at the studio made a weak connection while at home you were ok)
    Bad mixer input (happens)
    They had phantom power turned on in that mixer channel and it was causing it
    If you had an active DI box that was using phantom power maybe it wasn't getting enough juice.
    If you had an active DI box that was battery powered, maybe the battery was dead.

Always carry your own preamp to the studio, you never know what board they are using or how they are using it...

14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Not making any sense, if the Warwick works elsewhere but another bass works in the studio. Is the Ibby active?