Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Detuner Help Needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, May 10, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so mods, feel free to move it if need be.
    Anways, I have been interested in buying a few things to add to my warwick corvette std. 4 string and i seem to have run into a problem. First of all, I'm pretty set on a pair of dimarzio model js and I know will be buying those. The other thing im interested in is a detuner and heres where my problem is. At first I thought id just buy the hipshot detuner made for basses with gotoh keys and id be all set and everything would work just fine. However, now I have learned that these detuners do not fit on warwick basses because of the angle of the tuners and they hit the g tuner when in "d" mode. So, i was wondering if anyone new any other relatively easy and cheap alternatives to detuning such as maybe some other kind of detuner key or maybe a bridge device. I know i've seen the bridge ones on some fury basses and maybe someone (quallbone?) would know if i could buy one seperately and put it on my warwick.
    Also if there are any brands out there taht make detuners any smaller than the hipshot ones please let me know.
    If anyone could get me some info a.s.a.p. that would be great because I have a big show on may 22nd where I will be switching from drop d to normal tuning a lot and I was planning on ordering the stuff soon so I could get it and have it installed before the show.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Alex

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Have you thought about simply detuning the bass without the detuner. I tune my thumb 5 string ADGCF and it sounds killer.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hipshot will custom make them with modified levers to fit around other tuning keys. How do you think Manring does it with four of 'em?

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    oh ok thanks for the info
    do you know about how much these custom made ones would run me?
    -Alex

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dunno about a price increase, but you would have to buy the tuner direct. In gold that would run you $111 but totally worth it IMO.