Warwick Discontinue!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass2020, Feb 13, 2002.

1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Check this out!
    Warwick has discontinued; Streamer STD, Sonic heads, Pro Tube heads.

The Pro Fet prices are so low because they are going to be made in Asia!
    I asked dana b goods about this and they said, That they will sound the same.

I also asked about the Set Neck basses, they will have hollow bodys, without F-holes.
    Like the Corvette Limited Edition.
  2. What happened to Warwick? When I first bought my Dolphin Pro 1 4 strings neck through in 1990, Warwick was highly coveted, and it was the best bass that I have ever bought, cost me $4000 singapore dollars. And now they are going to make them in Asia? It's just a matter of time before Asian made Warwicks comes into the market. But if the amps are going to be made it China, Malaysia or Indonesia I wouldn't touch it, if it's made in Japan, yes.
  3. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Only the Rockbasses and Pro Fet amps will be made in Asia.
    Warwick basses, cabinets, preamp, Quad amp, combo, and everything else will still be made in good old Germany!
  4. Ofcourse.. all good stuff comes from Europe.. even the men :D
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Who needs the Streamer STD anyway?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, just FYI the Pro Tube IX never was available in the U.S. for example. It's one of the things I don't understand - it's their top amp.

But then, I live in Germany, so I can get all Warwick stuff I want - IF I want it.
  7. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I like this one.
  8. Allodox, Are you going to wathc the Holland vs England, I know this is off topic, it sucks that holland didn't make it to the world cup, Van Nistelrooy rules!
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that SN infinity should make a killer fretless.

i kinda wanted a streamer std fretless 5 string, but now that it's a maple neck and rosewood board (and made in china) no thanks. an ovangkol neck with ebony board, and dropping in a bart preamp, would have made that a very good fretless.

oh well, time to go see how much my next warwick will cost (5 string lined fretless streamer LX with an ash body, bubinga top, and piezo bridge :D )

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I thought the Streamer STDs were a fugly lot. Guess people agreed.
  11. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    You probably don't know that the bodies of all the Warwick bolt-on basses are made in KOREA (or Japan, I don't remember...). They arrive in Germany ready to be oiled.:(
  12. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Really, where did you here that?
    If so, they still are excellent basses.
    I kinda don't trust neck-thrus.

I asked dana b. when the Set Necks will be available, they said March.:)
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yes - i would be VERY interested to hear where you heard that.

they USED to make the alien in korea, but from what i've heard mr. wilfer smashed most of them because they sucked.

woodchuck - you know more than me about such things...help us out.

14. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, my luthier worked in Warwick factory. He actually knows lots of things about W basses. He's a secure source.
  15. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    You bought the Dolphin in Singapore? You must've purchased it from the Yamaha Music Combo Shop then? S$4000 would be around US$2500 those days.

I remember them showing off the Warwicks in the glass cases. Yes they were pretty highly coveted.
  16. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Warwick amplifier/combo are made in China for sure, some models of the basses as well, not to mention the gig bag and accessories.
    I was importing and distributing Warwick years ago when Mr. Wilfer propose to send the amps from China and assemble in Indonesia at later stage when the volume is big enough.
    Streamer Standard was the model which made the Warwick image went down, I suppose. It is so unthinkable.
    I gave up the business because the Warwick quality was inconsistence, so many warped neck, delaminate necks , dead trussrod. Some times the same models with different type wood. Their export department was a circus. Believe it or not up to date they still send me export/distributor price list, their export department runs like circus.
  17. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have loved every Warwick that i've ever played.
  18. Lupin

Feb 9, 2002
    The Streamer STD sounds good and is comfortable to play... :)