SOLD Warwick Dolphin 5-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BluJay, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BluJay

BluJay

Jun 26, 2016
    Altadena CA
    Price:
    $3000
    Strings:
    5 String 1998 Warwick Dolphin Pro 1
    Active MEC J/TJ pickups
    Ovangkol body
    Wenge fingerboard
    Natural oil finish
    Comes with hard shell Warwick case
    Excellent condition

Plays like a dream, but I just don't play enough anymore to justify having this much bass. Hope to sell to someone else who will love to play it out. I'm in the Los Angeles area, so asking $3000 for local pick-up (willing to drive a couple hundred miles if necessary), and another $100 for shipping within continental US. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Dolphin1.jpg Dolphin2.jpg Dolphin3.jpg Dolphin4.jpg

2. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Wow; my very first dream bass. The first time I saw one of these was on the old Arsenio Hall show, with then bassist John B. Williams. No interest in trades?

Boba Fretless likes this.
  3. BluJay

BluJay

Jun 26, 2016
    Altadena CA
    It was my dream bass too, and it really did match my dreams. But my life has moved on. I'm not interested in trades, sorry.

4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

i own one :) look like sisters! Fair price, KILLER instruments my lifetime favorite.

GLWTS

18.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad25%2Fphillippe_paradis%2FPhillippe%2520Axes%2FDolph5_zps3161ade8.png 8.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad25%2Fphillippe_paradis%2FPhillippe%2520Axes%2FDolph14_zpsebf4082a.png 8.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad25%2Fphillippe_paradis%2FPhillippe%2520Axes%2FDolph13_zpse2ad23b0.png
    8.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad25%2Fphillippe_paradis%2FPhillippe%2520Axes%2FDolph20_zps35fa6ced.png

BluJay and ShallowBayXI like this.
  5. BluJay

BluJay

Jun 26, 2016
    Altadena CA
    Nice! Other than the dolphin pots, they look a lot alike!

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  6. /\/\3phist0

Same year maybe even the same plank of flame Ovangkol ?

7. BluJay

BluJay

Jun 26, 2016
    Altadena CA
    Ha! Maybe! Really beautiful wood.

8. /\/\3phist0

So, good luck with the sale.
    These are handmade by the custom shop, and in 98 was the end of Warwick's golden era, thin fast neck, 26 bell brass frets, insane access to the upper register.
    Perfect fretwork.
    It took me years of searching to find mine. Anyone that wants the best Warwick has to offer, don't hesitate. If you miss this you'll kick yourself for many years to come. At this price it's below many lesser models. These weigh in (mine is 10lbs on the button)
    The balance on these is phenomenal.
    The electronics are really versatile the push pull on the front (volume) knob bypasses the musical 2band EQ. The push pull knob on the treble knob is a coil tap on the twin J at the bridge.
    Really quiet.
    Concave on the back convex (carved on the front)
    The flame really pops under stage lights.
    You want it?get it get it quick. These are really really rare with the Ovangkol flame.
    Boire wood,and boring plain Ovangkol is more common.

oaklandthumb likes this.
  9. Up from a Fellow Dolphin Worshipper :)

I can only confirm what has been said in termsof comfort, tonal possibilities and scarcity of those.
    Although I personnaly prefer the darker/warmer tone of Boiré Wood :)
    050.jpg

Boba Fretless likes this.
  10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh my. How much does it weigh?

11. BluJay

BluJay

Jun 26, 2016
    Altadena CA
    o_O That's quite the collection!

My scale says 11 pounds. I found the balance to be really good for playing, in spite of the weight, never had any neck dive problems.

12. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Wow!!!!

13. /\/\3phist0

4 string Custom finish (blue burst with Bartolini) with Satin Platinum hardware. (pre 1990?)
    And a boire Pro1 4
    pro 1 V broadneck with Barts!
    pro II with (Dimarzio's?) (coffee trans brown?)
    Very Nice!!!
    attachment.jpg

14. snake23

snake23

Dec 3, 2006
    That is gorgeous! I almost wanna sell a bunch of gear so I can buy it.

15. Thanks !
    Yes, Elise is a 1989 BlueBurst, one out of 4 in this color, it's a real treasure, very midvoiced.
    Sofia is the 1998 Pro1 Boiré/MEC, this combination is "uncommon", and very versatile.
    Evie is the 5-strings BN, limited run of around 50 in 91 with the barts.
    The Pro2 is "nirvana Black", hardware changed to black, and loaded with DiMarzios Model J. Blend Pot has been changed, to accomodate the Passive P'ups. This particular one has been played (for about 30 seconds) and signed by Dave Ellefson. :)

I can only recommend people to buy this 5er, very desireable with this Ovangkol Flame. The MEC p'ups are really convincing, soloe'd, the neck P'up can mimick a good Precision Sound, the Bridge p'up can add quite à lot of that "burp" when in double, and snap like a whip in single at 70% blend towards bridge.

Weight is clearly not an issue, those basses are extremely well balanced. The curvy body is nice if you have some pounds hanging on your belly :) I've had more than my share of basses, and those Dolphins are without any questions the most comfortable basses I ever played.
    The Narrow spacing is not for me, but I'm one of the few that really enjoy broad necks.

Cheers y'all.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  16. Voodoosnake

Voodoosnake

Sep 9, 2012
    Wales UK
    If I could sell my Ritter I'd fly to LA to buy this beauty. At that price it's just so much bass! I stupidly sold one years back. Still remains my very worst bass move.
    Anyone looking for a Ritter Classic ???

Attached Files:

Sosa likes this.
  17. /\/\3phist0

I sold a pile o stuff at firesale prices to get mine!
    Do not regret it one bit.
    Mine is so beautiful (and this one is a twin) that my Fiance asks me to get it out, just to look at it. We are looking into hanging it in the livingroom--and has told me that I CANNOT sell it :)

oaklandthumb likes this.