Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick dolphin "lookalike"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nil, Oct 18, 2000.

1. i've found at a local second-hand shop what looks like an old Warwick Dolphin...well at least the body and neck look like one...

i'm thinking it's a poor man's custom, but it's still got the 26 fret (36"?) scale, fretless (filled frets that look factory-done), angled J and a soapbar (no info on what they are), 3 pots, non-active electronics (no shielding either), bolt-on neck with the brass adjustment grubscrew. the body looks to have been finished with either a cheap varnish or stain, hard to see what the wood is - but the whole bass is pretty lightweight. it's also got a nasty bridge a-la early Fenders, but not a string-through.

it plays really well and sounds lovely, but is there any chance this IS an early refinished Dolphin, or is it just a collection of Dolphin-like components? there's no naming on ANYTHING, so it's difficult.

if i had a digital camera i'd post a picture.. :( it's stupid cheap (equiv $150USD) and i might still get it for the neck.

any opinions?
    thanks!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Perhaps it's a homemade copy from Dolphin.
    If it would be a Warwick, it would prolly have
    high price, high quality, very good parts, neckthru,
    2 pots and W logo.

3. Warwick did make a Dolphin 2, which I think was bolt on and had lower quality woods, but I know very little about it.