warwick dolphin "lookalike"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nil, Oct 18, 2000.

1. i've found at a local second-hand shop what looks like an old Warwick Dolphin...well at least the body and neck look like one...

i'm thinking it's a poor man's custom, but it's still got the 26 fret (36"?) scale, fretless (filled frets that look factory-done), angled J and a soapbar (no info on what they are), 3 pots, non-active electronics (no shielding either), bolt-on neck with the brass adjustment grubscrew. the body looks to have been finished with either a cheap varnish or stain, hard to see what the wood is - but the whole bass is pretty lightweight. it's also got a nasty bridge a-la early Fenders, but not a string-through.

it plays really well and sounds lovely, but is there any chance this IS an early refinished Dolphin, or is it just a collection of Dolphin-like components? there's no naming on ANYTHING, so it's difficult.

if i had a digital camera i'd post a picture.. :( it's stupid cheap (equiv $150USD) and i might still get it for the neck.

any opinions?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Perhaps it's a homemade copy from Dolphin.
    If it would be a Warwick, it would prolly have
    high price, high quality, very good parts, neckthru,
    2 pots and W logo.

3. Warwick did make a Dolphin 2, which I think was bolt on and had lower quality woods, but I know very little about it.