Warwick Dolphin Ovangkol / Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gracefruit, May 31, 2005.

1. gracefruit

May 31, 2005
    Hi there,

I own a 1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro I with Bartolini pickups and gold hardware (see pic). Previous owner says it is an Ovangkol body but I am not sure - usually when you read about older Dolphins they talk about boiré / rosewood bodies. Furthermore, I see pics of Ovangkol Dolphins which look much more brownish / yellowish than this model. Does anyone know more?

Thanks and regards
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I can't remember the exact year for sure that Warwick changed the Dolphins to ovangkol bodies, but a 1989 Dolphin is most definitely a boire/rosewood body.
  3. If my memory serves me it was 1997 when Warwick made the switch to ovangkol. One of the reasons was that the boire was prone to crack or split, both in the CNC machines and if not properly maintained over a long period. Accordingly, please wax your bass religiously.
  4. gracefruit

May 31, 2005
    Hi again,

and thank you for your answers, dincrest and oddio.
    I have also found another thread in this forum (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83098)
    that gives me the hint that I own a rosewood dolphin.
    It is my dream bass - so oddio, you can be sure that I will honour it like it deserves. :)

Take care and thanks again
  5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Hey man -

I am endorsed by Warwick. It is Rosewood.

Take care,

Mike W.
  6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I played my buddy's 4 string ovankol Dolphin for a few months as an alternative to my Pedulla 6 string thunderbass. That is truly an amazing bass! There's nothing that matches its unique tone.