Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Dolphin pics and post

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Post any pics of Warwick Dolphins and any comments concerning your love or hate ofthese beautiful basses! Also, anybody want to sell one? Hehe...Marc

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  3. I just posted pics of my two Dolphins (again) in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82992.

Personally I love the sound of the older 4-string, which can dial in just about anything from a sweet fretless singing sound to the most agressive bass tones you've ever heard. This is probably due to the factory barts. The white 5-string sounds a bit different with MECs on it, but is also very versatile with a nice tight B.

The 4-string has one of the most comfortable necks I've played, and the 5 is also great. Both instruments balance very well. That said, the looks won't appeal to everyone.

Most of my 5-string playing is done on my early Tobias Signature these days, so the time might come when I part with the 5-string, but I can't see ever selling the 4-string.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've got this one comming which I'll post pics of mid this week when it arrives. All I have of it at the moment are the pics the seller sent me.

Warwick Dolphin 5 string Pro I - The real deal and the wide neck model. Boire body with 7 piece wenge/zebrano neck thru, Bartolini soap bars with stack pots( vol.,pup blend,push pull active/passive & treble,bass boost,push pull mid cut). 9 volt circuit. This bass is in excellent condition.

5. By your description the upcoming arrival sounds like the right era, setup and pup configuration to have! If I didn't have a fiver already I would be chasing you. Looking forward to the pics... Thanks Brian!

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Brian, I left you a message. My e-mail is yamarc@aol.com and i would love to see some pics and a serial number! Oh yeah, the price would be great also! Thanks, Marc

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Heres the Dolphin you guys wanted posted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Brian, you mentioned the "real deal" and since all of my knowledge of this bass is form the Warwick brochure are there several different
    models of this bass ? Some made better in some years than in others ?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    The Boire Rosewood body is the popular body for the dolphins. Most people like to buy prior to 95 when buying warwicks, but actually some CNC had begun in the early 90's. Prior to 90 was when everything was hand built, but there were neck problems in some basses. After 95/96 warwick started using cheaper materials in the basses and woods.

There are quite a few people that I'm sure will post that know much more then me and probably correct me on some of my info, so go right a head.

Thanks
    Brian

10. The wider neck and dual-soapbar setup on the Dolphins is also pretty rare--I've only seen a couple like that. If I were ever to own another Warwick, it'd be one just like that!

Mike

11. DonZ, you asked about different models so perhaps I can help... there are two models of the Dolphin Pro 1, either 4-string or 5-string. These basses can also be ordered fretless. That's about it. The wide spacing is special order only with long wait times.

The use of boire palisander (african rosewood) ended around '97 due to shortage and classification of this wood as "endangered". Also, boire did not fit well into a mass-production environment and the blanks often cracked in the CNC machines. At that time Warwick switched to ovangkol for many bass models.

I can't remember the exact production years, but at one point there was a "budget" model called the Dolphin Pro II bass. These were bolt-on models with a JJ configuration. The ones I've seen have been overpriced and looked pretty beat up, but I've heard that it's a fine instrument.

Brian, just an FYI - it's my understanding that the neck-through instruments (Dolphin / Streamer / Thumb) continued to be made by hand until 1992.

12. There's no question that the pickup configuration and wide spacing suggests that this was a custom-ordered instrument. Highly desirable.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I have a Dolphin Pro II prototype which I like very much, it's lightweight and plays very well, the sound is very unique to say at least, both pickups are very live sounding and the neck pickup is very bright.

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What amps are you guys using with your Dolphins? I just ordered the Dolphin 5 and I hope that I can get used to the wide string spacing, any one else tried this? Thanks, Marc

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...never seen a dolphin like that....man, that's sweet

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I am using an Ampeg B5-R head and classic series cabs, the B5-R has two separate channels (clean+overdrive) which can be blended together, it can also be blended with an octave filter.

17. I'm play all of my basses through a Trace Elliot V8 driving a pair of Acme Low B-2s. Here a pic http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=894734.

Congrats, Yamark! That's a very unique bass. I hope the spacing works out well for you. Keep that boire waxed up.

Limo, it's nice to see a Pro II owner here. I've eyed them enviously due to the light weight. Most IIs that I've seen for sale have been badly beaten, but I'll bet yours is well cared for.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    If I were going to buy a Warwick I would buy a Dolphin...

I had no idea tho that they were hand made at one point.

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone heard anything about the new set neck Dolphins, they are semi hollow and made from Afazelia!! Marc

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    What looks!

- Radical, yet reserved
    - Ugly, yet beautiful
    - Big, yet small
    - Phallic, yet emasculated

:p