Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Dolphin Pro II???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassinthehole, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Bassinthehole

Bassinthehole

Jun 21, 2005
    I saw a Dolphin Pro II for sale in my area and I was wondering if anybody could provide any info or opinions on them. I know that the Dolphin Pro I is a top of the line model, and that the Pro II was discontinued at some point in the 90s. Please let me know if anybody has specs, info, or experience with this particular model.

Thanks!

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I had one.Hated it.Nice tone but playability-wise it didn't agree with me.Try it.They were made in Japan or Korea I think.Ash body maple neck rosewood board.MEC pickups.It's active.How much is it going for?

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Had one and sold it to a guy in Iceland. If you can find one for under $600, its a good buy. It was close to being Warwick's bottom shelf offering back in the early 90's. Ash body with a high gloss finish, 3 piece maple neck with wenge fingerboard, active MEC JJ pickups. They were German made. Mine played well but didn't quite have the oomph of my Streamer Pro M or LX basses. Strangely, I could never find a serial # on mine.

Riis

4. Bassinthehole

Bassinthehole

Jun 21, 2005
    So its basically a Jazz ripoff body/neck but with higher quality electronics? If I had a MIM Jazz (which I do) would I be better off just upgrading the electronics in it?

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:
    Do you know what a Dolphin looks like?
    jazz ripoff?!? :eyebrow:

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Jazz ripoff?!? Not even close. Do a Google search and take a gander. FWIW, mine weighed in well under 8 lbs.

Riis

7. Bassinthehole

Bassinthehole

Jun 21, 2005
    I meant jazz ripoff in body material & neck material, not in the body shape.

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lakland uses maple necks and ash bodies as do many builders, but my 55-94 is a far cry from the Fender Jazz bass. The same holds true with the Dolphin Pro II. Same basic materials but with a totally different perspective on design and craftmanship.

Riis

9. Ah crap, my basses are made of wood too... How can I look at them the same way knowing that they are just Jazz ripoffs? :p

10. Bassinthehole

Bassinthehole

Jun 21, 2005
    your Lakland IS a J bass ripoff...its just built by hand and has better electronics.

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nuh-uh. It's a MusicMan ripoff, or at least heavily inspired by the MM line.

Sadowsky is the J bass ripoff... by your definition, anyway.

Riis