Warwick Dolphin SN TCS vs Dingwall Combustion NG2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonalFreak, Jun 17, 2016.

1. TonalFreak

TonalFreak

Jan 30, 2011
    I have a chance to buy one of these over the next week as they came up in the used market and I'm absolutely torn over it! Both of them are 5 string. I already own 2 Warwick 5 strings, a Thumb Bolt-On and Corvette $$. Do I go with the safety option of getting another Warwick and sticking with something familiar? Would the Dolphin be different enough from the Warwicks I already own? Or do I go for something new and fresh like the Dingwall which I love the tone of as well? Plus that B string would be sick with the 37 inch scale.

Logical thinking tells me that the Dolphin might not be as attainable in the future whereas I could order a new Dingwall NG2 sometime down the line. But I just keep thinking of how damn nice that Dingwall looks.

Anyway, just wanted to vent about my first world problems(woe is me, eh?)!! If anyone has opinions or comparisons I would love to hear them! Cheers!

2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    I'm biased as a Warwick fan but the dolphin just looks amazing! The dingwall is very basic looking except for the fanned frets however the dolphin looks like no other bass out there!!

3. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    I sold two '91 Warwick Thumbs (one a UF) to fund a Dolphin Pro 1 through-neck with gold hardware and within a week I'd regretted the purchase and the sales that funded it. For some reason, Warwick made the Dolphin's neck like a baseball bat, nothing like the slimness of the Thumbs. Also, even more disappointing, was that splitting the rear 'bucker to a single coil left a weak tone lacking punch and definition, certainly nothing like a Thumb rear J-pup. It made the pup redundant, in my books. Within a week or so, I couldn't stand looking t it any longer and shifted it.

Maybe the SN version is different, maybe not. If you are considering the Dolphin, bear in mind my experience.

4. The early Dolphins have a thin neck. And Bartolini p'ups.
    The SN versions are very nice sounding, but totally different in term of character. The SN/TCS is however a really good instrument, but I also am biased towards Dolphins.
    It's also very different from what you already have, as the Thumb is peculiar, and the $$ is a beast. The Dolphin 5SN TCS is somewhat more civilized, but not tamed.
    Here's what you can do with it :
    Chris Kollias

5. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know the OP is discussing a SN Dolphin but I don't have the same experiences you had with your Dolphin....granted mine has the chunky neck (00-01 year build which I don't mind) but I have no issues getting a solid low end out of mine in single coil mode. I typically run the bass knob just a tick past half and keep the treble flat or sometimes just under half. The Dolphin definitely has that woody low mid character but it has a solid low end to it as well IMO. Different strokes for different folks but that is just my experience.
    579ED447-9596-4D5A-9B77-15C1A90B5956_zpsg0ayldlb.jpg

6. TonalFreak

TonalFreak

Jan 30, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I figure I'd like the Dolphin for sure as I haven't played a Warwick yet that I haven't liked, there's just something about the Dingwall that's drawing me to it. The Darkglass preamp in it sounds great too!

7. AzzJuice

AzzJuice

Jun 13, 2016
    keep in mind Nolly getgood went from warwick to dingwall..............

bebass likes this.
  8. Where do you live? The Nashville Warwick Shop had two Dolphins a few weeks ago and I played one for about 15 minutes - but not plugged in. I have see some really nice jazz videos on YouTube using a Dolphin. I don't think I've ever seen a rock or metal video using one. I think they look awesome. But I bought the Corvette $$ because I play and gig regularly and I can get sounds that get jobs, and brother that bass will get you jobs.

9. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    combustions are 36 I believe not 37.

warwicks are a sure bet too.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    37" at the B - 34" at the G.

11. Here you go :

12. Great shot at 0:57. Looks like it has layers of glossy black paint - like my Corvette $$. Sounds pretty good too! Thanks for the 'here you go'

13. Between those two I'd go with the Warwick. They sound so good in the mix.

14. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Going to go against the grain here and say get the Dingwall, but I have no experience with Warwicks. The B on my Combustion kills, though, and I've heard great things about the Darkglass pre on those NGs.