Warwick Dolphin SN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nikolai, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I see everyone talking about Corvettes and such, but the dolphin is never talked about.. why is this? does people find the design too weird? do people think theyre bad? Im just wondering.

I own one myself and think its a really great bass. Plays so good, i havent tried a better bass yet. After trying basses as the bleached blonde etc, i dont think they can match, maby its just me... opinions?
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    They are hard to find if you want to try one, and for the same price you can get a better basses...
  3. Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I had a Dolphin SN once. -but it was really bright red.. Combined with the drastic body shape, I found it too "screaming".
    I would however like to try a Dolphin NT.. I found the body shape to be practical, and cool. Good balance. Sound from the Mec´s are ok, playability of a well adjusted Dolphin is great!
  4. BassForLife

Dec 8, 2004
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I personally love the unique Dolphin shape. I'm sure with the concave back and long horn, it is one of the better balancing Warwicks. Heck, the Katana is even starting to grow on me. I'd love to try a Dolphin or a Katana, but no shop near me carries those. They tend to carry Corvettes and Thumbs.

But the shape is a bit non-trad for many people. In addition, the basses are expensive. Corvettes are much less expensive and a damn good bass, so more people buy those. Also, Corvettes find their way onto the used market more often and are priced affordably used. I can't even find a used Dolphin I could even hope to afford, and if I could, I'd probably use my $1500- $1800 and maybe have a bass hand-built by JJ Helms or Bud LeCompte or someone.

Basically, it's the verbose version of what vene-nemesis said.
  6. Are you kidding me? That's awesome.
  7. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    the shape is awesome, very unique. I've been a fan of every warwick i played. But i have to say,the dolphin is hardest to find. I wonder why that is. Im tryed corvettes, thumbs, and streamers. Each one is different, but great regardless. Awesome bass man, treat it well
  8. Obviously this isn't the set-neck model but the Pro1. I bought this '90 bass from Jon Shishido who took the great photos. You'll either love or hate the looks, but these shots will give you an idea of the shape.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The wood combo of the pro 1 really makes it look better than the SN. Thats what i hate about warwick when they want to sell a cheaper version of their good basses they make basses that have just too many colors IE: the $$ natural looks awful with the fretboard in chocolate brown the headstock and hardware in black and the body in ash, so does the SN but somehow the SS2 that has the same wood combo that the DSN looks better so the wood selection process for afzelia must be pointed at the SS2 rather than the DSN.

BTW the lower cutaway of the pro 1 looks better than the SN cutaway.
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I want a 'wick so bad :(

I'd love to try a Dolphin, alas, none to try.
  11. Looks aside, the Dolphin models are all fairly versatile for 'Wicks. The Pro1 has an extremely wide spectrum and can go from the smoothest woody jazz tones to the most agressive sounds you can imagine... even glass-shattering. The neck is quite narrow across the radius so some might find the spacing a bit tighter than other Warwick basses, or it certainly seems like that.

I would imagine that the set-neck has similar sounds and characteristics, but the caveat is that I've yet to get my hands on one to try.
  12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well i want a pro1 5 myself, but need a job to afford it cos my last "toys" were a little xpensive for me and now im in red numbers...
  13. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    As far as i know its similar, i havent tried a pro model, but its the same electronics atleast.. amazing range of tones!
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Don't the newer Dolphin Pro 1's have ovangkol bodies as opposed to the boire-rosewood bodies of the older Dolphin Pro 1's? Could this be a reason why newer Dolphins are less desirable than older ones, assuming that ovangkol has vastly different tonal properties than boire?
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a thumb and love it. It may be heavy and maybe not the most ergonomic of basses but wow.

What a bass.
  16. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Jovial Curmudgeon Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I'd love to have one. Had one on loan.. had to pry it out of my hands....
  17. Forever counted as one of the big mistakes of my life. Played a used Dolphin SN in a music store in Toronto. Played it, loved it, and went away for a day or so to think about it. Gone... :rollno: