1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick . . . don't get their strategy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jhan, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

What's with Warwick/Framus lately? I went to the NYC store the other day, and they're charging almost double for some basses now. Nothing new about these basses, really. As a Warwick fan, I still like them. But come on!! What gives?

It's also driving the price of used Warwicks up some places. I played a used Corvette Standard in Sam Ash yesterday, and they wanted $1550 for it. Right. A used Corvette standard? $1000 sounds more like it. I don't care how good it sounds or how well it plays. Perhaps since new Warwicks are out of reach for 99% of players, the used market has heated up. Who knows.

Rgeardless; who's going to pay $6000/$7000 for a factory-made bass (albeit a well made bass) when they can buy a Fodera or something? The only people I see playing 'high-end' Warwicks now are people with endorsement deals.

I think I might let this Warwick 'bubble' burst and catch a deal on the downside.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Meh.... I can't afford them anyways. I'm waiting on their endorsement call.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Amazon has had new Warwicks at much lower prices than what you're mentioning. Maybe the factory shop is jacking up the price for the "ambience."

4. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    As long as there is people willing to spend that kind of money, there are people willing to take advantage of those people who will spend that kinda money.

5. $1,000 for a used Vette=someone's been smoking something.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Could be pricing trial balloon. Sometimes folks 'test' the market. A test most fail.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

NYC rent is expensive ang goods sold in NYC are generally more expensive than anywhere in the world except maybe Tokyo and London.

I buy cigars at Davidoff on Madison Avenue and I know they cost more there than at a dumpy place in Buffalo. Same with the Warwick "Flagship Store" in NYC.

Having said that, a used Corvette at a Sam Ash for over $1000 is either a mistake or somebody needs to give their head a shake!

8. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    I try all basses on the SVT classic with an 810 and compare @ Sam Ash. I figure if you are going to try something, might as well try it with something similar to the best. Too bad the Sam Ash near me doesnt carry the new Mesa Boogies or I would have bought what I wanted already. I dont like buying products without testing them out anymore, too much room for error, especially instruments and amps.

9. All bass companies have raised their prices not just Warwick. Yes. Their prices have gone up but they have been doing so over the last few years; it wasn't like they just decided to raise their prices recently. The dollar is worth less today too.

10. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    Breslin is right.. the dollar has been deflating, and prices have been increasing..

although, over 1K for a Corvette is much too high.. when i've seen them, they average about 800.00..

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Didn't we go through this all about a year ago at this time... a certain U.S. company, starts with "F"?...

:bag:

Actually considering how the U.S. dollar has tanked the last few years I'm surprised European manufacturers haven't jacked their prices more than they have. OPEC has more than doubled the price of a barrel of oil the last few years riding the "weak dollar" rationale.

12. Feel as though I stole my Rockbass Streamer-5 for $400 couple of weeks ago from Musician's Friend. Only the natural finish was that price and yes it's a new 2010 model.
    A few days later I checked back and the same one priced back to $1000. Go figure!

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    250% ROI in two weeks. Try getting that in the stock market!

14. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I had a similar stroke of luck about a year and a half ago. Bought a new Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass at GC when they were having a big sale - $530 instead of the usual $650. A few weeks later, the price went up to something like $950. Recently, they're down to about $800, but I'm still pleased with my timing ...

15. jhan

jhan Guest

I got a Corvette Standard 5 string passive for $800 new at GC in NYC about a year ago. That was when GC was clearing out their Warwick inventory and was in 'We just want to get rid of this stuff' mode. It was like, "Oh yeah, ring this up," after about 30 seconds. Feel like I really lucked out, considering it's a made in Germany model. Having some DiMarzio Ultra J's dropped into it this coming week. Can't wait to get it back!

I love those 'We just want to get rid of this stuff' situations. I'm all for gettin' what's gettin' rid of, if it works for me.

16. Also, because fewer people are buying right now, to keep the companies afloat they have to charge more for each unit sold.

When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about the Thumb Singlecut, which has got to be a good 10 years late to the party, or way early to be retro.

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Has there been a change in americas import taxes for european brands/goods? I know america charges stupid high tarrifs on stuff from europe at times. Have warwick prices in europe similiarly gone up?

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In addition to the above points, sometimes company stores will charge full list, or close to it, so they don't compete as much with their dealers. I don't know if that's true with Warwick, but it's true for DiPinto's company shop here in Philly. They don't charge full list price, but you'll get a better price elsewhere, and they'll tell you that up front.

19. cozmic

cozmic

Aug 8, 2002
    Germany
    Well, end of last year, Warwick was faced with a lot of publicity problems. As it turned out and was published in the german press, Warwick was/is forcing people to work at conditions which collide with german law. They force people to work 60+ hours a week, while they only pay for 40h. People are given 20 days of vacancies, the standard defined by law is 28 days, and are forced to take only 10-15. The list was very long and it caused a lot of bad publicity. Maybe they started to rethink and now they need to raise prices...who knows.

HereĀ“s some links for people capable of german language...

http://www.stern.de/politik/deutsch...-horst-koehler-und-die-ausbeuter-1513438.html

http://schlauhase.blogspot.com/2009/10/dumpinglohne-bei-warwick-und-horst.html

20. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Meh, let me know when they make basses that actually balance and then I'll be worried about their price.