Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Dream Bass Competition

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by htdesigns, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hello All,

Over in the UK Warwick has started running it's third dream bass competition, having run previous ones in Germany and Japan that produced the Vampyre and Katana models currently in their range.

The short list has just been shown in this months Guitar Buyer magazine. I was interested to know what some of the pro/semi pro/amateur bass builders thought of the shortlisted entrants? If there were ones that were particularly liked, or disliked for that matter. I was just interested to know what you guys made of it all.

All the best.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Where can we see the list of potential designs?

3. The shortlist is in Guitar Buyer Magazine, a publication over here in the UK. I have scanned the designs and they should be attached to this post (Aand the following few).

Attached Files:

4. Two more

Attached Files:

5. And another...

Attached Files:

6. and again...

Attached Files:

7. and again..

Attached Files:

8. this is getting a bit repetitive..

Attached Files:

9. And the last two.

Attached Files:

10. Love B, kinda like C, and H is okay...the rest are LAME.

11. None of them really do it for me.
    Are the vampyre and katana models selling well enough to continue this sort of contest?

12. I'm with Mon,

B & C are the only ones worth consideration and B seems to appear a bit too "pinched" around the neck/body junction.

If that's all they could come up with, I'm sure the Warwick guys are wincing.

13. B will have more of that Warwick neckdive. I made a bass very similar to that.

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'm not fond of any of them but if I had to I'd vote for "I", pending lots of refinement.

15. I dunno how well the Vampyre and Katana are selling but given that Warwick has made the Vampyre part of their Rockbass line someones got to think it's got something going for it.

I am a bit surprised at how many people have said C, not that it's a bad design but it seemed so similar to Scott French's basses. Personally I like N but I guess I'm in the minority there!

According to the magazine whichever design wins will go through a development process at Warwick, so it's fair to assume that the finished article won't be exactly what your looking at now.

16. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
  17. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Woah, I never heard about this. I am glad to know it wasn't actually Warwick's in house designers that came up with the last 2 ugly designs they put out though. Sometimes I wonder if a bird dropped the design for the Dolphin in someones lap over there. I love that design so much but everything else they make is butt ugly (only getting worse).

18. Good lord some of those are laughable. What is UP with F & E? So stupid. One looks like something Cort offered in the early 80's (the UFO line) and the other, c'mon, you really think they'll make one that looks like a shark? Sofa king dumb.

And D...good Lord! What, did someone trace a french curve and a protractor together? LAME.

And I agree that most of Warwick's output of late is really bad looking...

19. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    B, C and H are the only ones worth considering IMO. I love B. C is beautiful but doesn't exactly fit with the traditional warwick style. H is more like a "regular" warwick if you ask me. But my vote goes to B. I would love to see those sound holes.

20. not to derail this topic, but there sure are a hell of a lot of bolts on this timtone

[​IMG]