Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick electronic compartment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi,

I was surfing on the new MEC site (http://www.mec-pickups.de ) and discovered they was offering the "tool-less opening" electronic compartement for sale.

I'll maybe try to use them on my basses but now I wonder how the cover fits into the body rout? Is it screwed or set in?

It would be cool if someone could post a pic of it here...

Are you (warwick owners) satisfied with this control cover?

What do you all guys think of it? cool? crap?

Thax

JP

2. I'm french too, but let's speak english.
    I have a Warwick at home and I can take a look at it this evening, I will tell you tomorrow how this piece of plastic is fixed ...

A demain!

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    lets see if this works

[​IMG]

Ok

Do you see the small rectangular shapes on the curved edge of the cavity (on the underside)?

These are the retaining clips. The cavity plate is one piece of plastic. The clips are moulded on and are sprung loaded. ------v- the v is the spring push like this <---- and the -----V- goes ----II- allowing removal. The other side has two lugs (protuding rectangular pieces of plastic. To replace the plate you line up the lugs with the holes and press down so the V compresses to II and back to V securing the plate.

I hope this is clear enough. If not prehaps someone can explain in French (my French is tres mal).

4. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    nice name :p

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    pardon

I didnt give my opinions on the system. It's ok but fiddly to open. I personally would prefer to see a two whole system with a bolted control cavity and a seperate flip out battery system.

[​IMG]

The only thing the user needs instant access to is the battery.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Streamer has the "tool-less" cavity cover. My Modulus doesn't. I could really care less.

It is nice that you can make quick battery change. But how often to you really have to do that?

As infrequently as one actually removes the control plate cover, it really seems like a non-issue. But if you are the sort that does remove it very often for some reason, it does appear to me that that the Warwick style plate could either lose its elasticity or break eventually from continuous removal. I have no evidence of this, but based on the nature of plastic, I assume it could happen.

I would never see this a "feature." It just isn't that big of a deal.

But, since you asked, the "best" configuration IMO, is screws to cover the pots and preamp, and a seperate quick-release battery box. This gives you the security of screws and the quick battery change option as well.

Chas

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    on my old thumb NT one of the tabs half-broke making removal of the cavity a SEVERE pain in the ass.

a pop out battery compartment is really all you need

although - with the superior reliability of the MEC electronics ( :rolleyes: ) maybe warwick wasn't so dumb giving you quick access to it :p

8. Does anyone else have problems sometimes with opening the control cavity cover? The tabs that hold the cover in place are quite short and difficult to push in and when they are pushed in they snap back quickly effectively locking the cover in place again. Does anyone have any tips for removing the cover? Thanks.