1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick EMP

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 19, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Have to say I had high hopes for these strings. But I have been greatly disappointed. I paid about 50 bucks for theses strings (twice what I usually spend and can afford) in hopes they would last quite a few months, in turn paying for themselves. Well. I've had them on my bass for a month now. And from day 1, they sounded like old used strings. Now, I can't get a touch of clarity out of them. But hey, at least the coating didn't hair up like they said.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm actually starting to think I got black labels in an emp box.

3. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    This sounds odd, indeed. EMP strings should not sound dead at all...I've had great experience with them, both tonally and long-lasting. What makes you think they may have been black label strings in an EMP box? Where did you purchase them from. Thanks!

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I ordered them from guitar center. I got them in a pretty beaten box but figured the strings were fine. I was wrong. And I think black labels because the life of them was very very similar. The only difference is these strings went from dull to completely dead in about 3 weeks. I play alot. Plus they had the same feel. I had awesome success with the black labels I've gotten. Which is why I had high hopes for these.

5. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    I just put Warwick EMP strings on my '97 Thumb 5 NT. This is the first time I've used EMPs and they sound great so far - nothing dead about this string set.
    The .135 B string is a little bigger than the .125s on the DRs that I used to use and bigger than the .130s on the Elixirs I just took off of the bass. I will get used to it I hope. It should be a good fat low end judging by the thickness of it.

They are not as 'slick' or coated feeling as Elixirs. I will see how I like them as I bought several sets recently. I hope to get a lot of use from each set like I have been with Elixirs. Elixirs have been lasting me 6 to 8 months until the coating starts deteriorating. Both are fairly expensive sets to my mind and pocket.

Any other opinions / experiences with EMPs anyone care share?

Dave

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I had two sets of EMPs that I used on my fretless (one came on the bass, one came along with). All in all, I found them to last quite a long time but for me, I needed a set of strings that is much brighter and articulate than what the EMPs could do.

I don't feel there is any comparison to other coated strings. I've played on DR and Elixer, and both of those sets failed in about half the normal time (the Elixers sounded poor after only a week). The EMPs didn't have anything flake off, didn't get sticky or anything; they're a very nice, long lasting string. My tonal needs were just different.

miles'tone likes this.
  7. I just put on a set of EMPs on my 1994 Fortress 5-string. In the Nashville shop today I played several new Warwicks and all the basses there have EMPs, so I played them before buying them ($71 w/tax). In the store the new basses felt a little different in that the necks are thinner than on my older Warwick and the necks were slightly narrower. So my playing had to make some adjustments. The strings felt OK so I went ahead and made the purchase and have played about 90 minutes.
    First thoughts. They did feel a little 'sticky' on my bass. The sound is less 'bright' than the DR steel rounds I've been using. The B is tapered so it will fit any bridge. Gauge is 40/60/80/100/130. Sound is similar to the DR rounds. B has that slightly louder sound just as the DR B has. These are in tune on the open fret, 12th fret, and 24th fret. Tuning was faster than with the DRs. I lowered the bridge on the B/E side about 2mm with no audible fret buzz, so they must vibrate less than the DRs. I had the bridge high with the DRs because the buzz was audible in the amp. I'm not hearing any buzz in my amp even with the strings closer. I lowered the JAN on the D/G side about 1 mm but couldn't lower it on the B/E side. I have the JAN very low now which makes playing so much easier around the first 5 or 6 frets. Tone: Low bass seems slightly puncher and clearer than with the DRs. Mids sound lightly less punchy but are clearly in tune. Highs are not as bright as the DRs which is fine with me. Overall after my first 90 minutes: After 30 minutes I didn't notice the 'sticky' feeling any more. I played slightly quicker with better fretting so maybe the EMPs are going to be easier on my fingers? I'll report again after a few more weeks.