Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Experts: Need Price Check!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Mar 20, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I saw a 5-string Warwick Streamer in a pawn shop priced at $1,200. The serial number indicated a 1994 production year. It appeared to be swamp ash or maple with a natural finish. The neck was laminated. None of the woods appeared to be exotic in nature, except maybe the fingerboard (wenge perhaps). The bass had active electronics with apparently a three-way MEC system with J-J pickups. There were no pull-up knobs. The bass was is dire need of a setup with a distinct forward bow of the neck. The finish needed some attention as well. By the way, the bass had gold hardware. I want to offer the guy a realistic price with some backup. What would you all pay for a bass like this?

2. Is it a bolt on neck? If it is neck thru it should have some kind of exotic wood strips as part of the neck.The body probably is maple and more than likely the fretboard is wenge. If it isn't a bolt on neck version and it's in need of work I wouldn't pay more than $1k for it. Just bring some allen keys with you and make sure that the truss rod works.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Sorry, it's a bolt-on.

4. Bolt on 5 string Warwicks can be bought new for that price at GC for example. You could try to use that info and negotiate a killer deal. If he won't budge, pass on it.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    my Warwick Streamer LX5 (bolt-on) was bought for 1100$ new.

you should try to make a deal too or it ain't worth it for an instrument in a shape so bad it needs working on.

btw, I think before '97 all Streamer LX series basses were made of Cherry wood and not of flamed maple like the current ones (though I think these woods are of similar grain, sound and origin).

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, alittle help, guys. Its in good to excellent condition, used. Corvette Fortress Corvette Proline. I emailed and asked about the 'Fortress' part because I thought they were 2 different Warwick series, but she said it was a Corvette Proline model in the Fortress series. :confused: Whatever, she is just confused.

Is this a good price? It looks a bit nicer and better built (materials) than the Cort Curbow 5FL I've had my eye on for a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Warwick Fortress Corvette Proline

7. I think that she is confused. The Fortress was a different model/body shape. What they have there looks to be a Corvette Proline. I'm not sure what these go for on average used though.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, Zoomboy, thats what I thought as well.

Anyways, I still need some advice on the price, so I'm still open for help. Thanks in advance.

9. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    what streamer model???

10. Corvette Proline models were not sold on the western side of the Atlantic until last year, so what you are looking at is a Euro refugee. This reason alone may be part of the price inflation. I do believe that there is room to negotiate down, but if the dealer is smart and crafty he knows that he will eventually get his price. You just gotta be craftier. The above posts feature some good advice.

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    plankspanker, thanks for the info. Is the price about right, it being a Euro import and all (I assume its the same quality and all that)? I'm figuring that I'll let the auction wind down and see if it's bought, because currently w/ 4 hours and counting, theres no bidders. If still no bidders at end of auction, I'll email and make an offer.

Thanks for the help, guys.