1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick experts - please tell me what you can about my new (to me) bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I'm a Warwick virgin. I am now wondering what I was waiting for! I just picked this up used yesterday for what I felt was a decent price. It's a Warwick rockbass fortress. Pots/knobs are perfectly silent. Just realized that the volume is push pull so assuming it's active/passive but could be wrong. It's black gloss. Has some swirling and a couple dents here and there. I think I'm in love. Gigged it last night and it hangs wonderfully. A little heavier than other warwicks that were in the store but not oppressive. I'm looking for whatever you Warwick experts can tell me. Where is it made? When was it made? Anything you can tell me about it? Anything I should / could know?

Attached Files:

2. electrichead

electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    Serial number:
    H509023-11

Article number:
    1534022305CZASHAWW

produced:
    2011-08-01

Description:
    Fortress, 4-string
    Black Highpolish finish
    Swamp Ash body
    Maple neck
    Chrome hardware

Most likely made in China

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Can I ask where you found this so I don't annoy the Warwick talkbass community further? :)

4. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    yes it's a rockbass. Usually the only difference is woods and electronics. In your case you have Mec golds so it's active. So in your rockbass your mostly just missing the finer Warwick woods(Wenge,Ovangkol, bubinga..) But in my OPINION as long as it's active with the mec's you'll still receive the signature Warwick growl. Fine animal you have right there keep it forever. Your only difference is a maple neck instead of a "finer" wood. It's a Warwick. It's beautiful.

5. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    Type in the serial number on the back of the headstock on Warwick.com

6. electrichead

electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    /\/\3phist0 and Fletz like this.
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Is the push/pull on the volume active/passive? Doesn't seem louder - seems brighter. (And thanks btw!!!)

8. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
  9. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    Yes push in for active pull up for passive. Never leave the cord plugged in or the 9v will drain. Depending on your play time, change it every 6mo. I always leave mine in active mode.

Fletz likes this.
  10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    This is why I love talkbass. Thanks all!

DevinWard369 likes this.
  11. electrichead

electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    Pulling on the volume knob bypasses the onboard active preamp and deactivates the tone controls

jonnybass1 likes this.
  12. What electrichead said... To add, since the pickups are active, you still need a battery to produce an output, whatever position the push-pull is in. The push-pull only bypasses the 2 band EQ of the active circuitry.

13. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Looks great Fletz, enjoy!

Fletz likes this.
  14. Even passive Warwicks have "the growl". I have a fretless Corvette Rockbass (double passive pickups or go home). Actives do have a little more, but... they're active. Dunno, just not a fan of actives

The "finer" woods don't matter. 0 effect on the sound, just of the weight and durability of the wood, but most makers won't make a body out of soft wood anyway so that doesn't matter either. Also, don't be annoyed or unsatisfied with maple as a neck. Hard maple is 10/10 wood bang and probably the best wood there is for necks. I made my own bass for BEAD tuning by hand, used hard maple neck-through, and that thing hasn't had to be tuned once through late summer and winter. It's fairly inexpensive and durable as can be - especially if quarter-sawn

Rockbass Warwicks are the best basses I've ever owned or played on a dollar-for-dollar basis. If you managed to get one for less than retail/eBay, then that's awesome. Keep it forever

DevinWard369 and Fletz like this.
  15. Yup, German hardware, German electronics, and non-exotic woods. Build quality (on my Streamer at least....) is on par with any other production bass I've owned (up to the $1500 range IMHO.) Serious stuff. Got mine for half price thru MF because of warehouse damage to the rear. Free bumper sticker covered that up, and had a lo-action setup done (for $75), now it is definitely a pro-level axe. Even with the passive MEC's the growl is still there in abundance. Only thing is it requires a different EQ curve than my backup fretless, but that's an easy 5-second tweak, or kick in/out an EQ pedal.

DevinWard369 and Fletz like this.
  16. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    That seems like a silly option to even need.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  17. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

No its not!!!
    it will get you through a few songs when the battery gets low, since just the pickups require less juice to operate, than the pickups AND preamp.
    When the battery starts to get low, the output signal of the bass starts to sound weak and distorted, pull up on the volume knob, the signal cleans up, and you play on till the next break.

Fletz likes this.
  18. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Agree. If you play 100% of the time active you usually 'forget' what it sounds like with no EQ - just wood and strings. All you do is pull the vol knob up and there you go: pure wood and strings. On some songs that can be a good thing.

Fletz likes this.
  19. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    ok that makes sense.

20. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Any suggestions on fixing a fairly strong buzz on the 11,12 and 13 feet on the a-string only? So many tweaking options! I got the rest of the action decently low with no buzz anywhere else. It feels like a first class instrument