Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick experts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Ah no not another Warwick post!!! Anyway here we go.. Ive been wanting a Streamer Stage II 5 for a long time now and nearly bought one last year really couldn't afford it. I went into my local music shop the other day and found a bubinga corvette 5 string used-not a scratch for £500 which is a pretty good deal- it played and sounded really well but is it a poor alternative for the SSII? Even if I had it fitted with a good pre-amp? A SSII new will cost nearly £2K.....
    Cheers for any advice
    PM

2. if you want an SSII, save up for an SSII. You won't be satisfied with anything else if you go for the cheap alternative.

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I also want a Ferrari........

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    actually, the pickup placement is the same, the pickups are the same, preamp is the same, woods are very similar....i'd say it's about 80% if i had to quantify it. the ss2 plays better, balances better, sustains forever and has this extra complexity in the tone that the corvette doesn't have...but it will definitely get you there. if it's got a wenge neck, i'd say go for it.

5. I think the Corvette is a very 'middle of the road' Warwick... I have 3, a Corvette, a Fortress One, and a Streamer LX. I would wait and get the SS2

6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Personally, I prefer the Corvette. Well the four string at least. Idont know why, but i tried them both out and liked the cheaper one better. Id say go for it.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'll also second the corvette only if it has a wenge neck: if not save up for the SSII (which is one of the nicest W's i've played)

8. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Cheers- I'l have a look around for SS2's and see how much I could get one for- but this corvette plays just as well as the SS2's ive played- its got an ovangkol neck but then so do the new SS2's- and the I been impressed by the recent ones made in 2002- Warwick might just have got their act together since 98 when the quality went down a bit.....

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What?!! The new Warwicks don't have wenge necks? Is this blatant sacrilege or is ovangkol sufficiently similar?

Alex

10. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yep they changed them to ovangkol in about 98 which maybe does'nt feel as nice as wenge but it sounds similar. Recent basses I've tried have been pretty good.

11. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    All of them? (Excluding the Streamer S1 which always used to be all maple).

Alex

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Some prefer the Ovangkol to limit the neck dive.
    I have, and love, the Wenge neck.
    The SS-II has it all over the 'vette in terms of feel and tone.

I'm not high on the Corvette. Except the FNA Jazzman.

I think the SSII is worth saving up toward rather than going for the Corvette just on price.

13. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A SS2 may be over £2k new but you can definitely do much better second-hand. Another option is to go for the older 1980's streamers, pre S1 & S2. These are 5 piece wenge visible neck-thru's with cherry stringers and cherry body and sound quite similar to the SS2 (better IMO) and have fantastic slim fast necks. However, they're not JJ pickups, they're reverse-P/J pickups and sound a bit more growly and midrangey, better fingerstyle tone but the slap tone's a bit in your face.

I picked mine up a few years ago for £650 including gigbag, aluminium flightcase, BE5-B multiFX and two brand new whirlwind leads! Bargain of the century.

So if you're prepared to wait you should be able to find a top-line Warwick for much less than list. If you see anyone selling an '80s one, grab it now!

Alex

14. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Cheers !!
    Think I'll keep looking for used basses- it seems that the SS2 has the edge in the sound dept because its neck-thru- the woods and electronics are pretty similar- anyone who knows of one going giv us a shout.....

15. try a Streamer LX...I got mine used for $1200 and it's a great bass.