Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick F Flash 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.S., Oct 14, 2002.

1. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    I was checking the website of my local dealer and found this warwick bass that they say is a warwick f flash 5.

I checked the warwick website and find no mention to a f flash 5. Any clue? It looked like a 5 string fortress to me... :confused:

I am also quite interested in its pick-ups, not a P-style pu, not a J-style pu, neither a MM nor a soapbar, what is that? and how does it sound like?

Anyway I live in an asian country and for some reason, warwick bass are rather cheap here, a streamer jazzman is going for S$2000 (US$1 = S$1.8) is that a good price?

2. It's a warwick fortress flashback. Review of a 4 string version here .

The 5 has a Volume, a pan and a tone control.
    1 passive MEC lipstick humbucking pickup and 1 passive MEC lipstick single pickup.

All Fortress Flashback basses are passive.

3. I happen to have a Fortress Flashback 5. The one in the picture has the standard Warwick bridge, mine has the optional 2Tek bridge. Mine is the same color as the one in the picture. It looks sharp, and it's well balanced though it's a little on the heavy side...I use a good wide leather strap.

Mine is passive. I thought all were, but I have seen a picture that showed a battery compartment on the back of one...maybe added as an option or aftermarket. I prefer passive myself because I have had the uncomfortable incident of having to change a battery in mid-song on my Yamahammy...

Tone is very good, though sometimes I can't seem to predict how it'll sound. The two pickups give very different sounds, and you can pull up on the tone knob to activate the coil tap on the humbucker. The neck is narrow, just like I like it. It's laminated and it's stable, with good low action, and stays in tune well. It has the first version of the Warwick adjustable nut. I paid $900 used for mine at Sam Ash and got a new set of flats and straplocks thrown in. Oh BTW this has the recessed straplock holes, not strap buttons.

I am happy with the instrument and use it as my primary axe.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. I have played on one before.. it is pretty nice.. though warwicks aren't for me.. and I don't much like the pickguard.... but it sounded pretty good to me