Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick, Fender, or Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowhighq, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Lowhighq

Lowhighq

Mar 7, 2001
    I plan on spending around $1000 on a new four string. I'm looking at Musicman Stingray, Fender American (perhaps Deluxe) Jazz, and a Warwick Thumb bolt on. I like to play blues, jazz, rock, and some funk. I'm sure a lot of you own these basses and have a lot more experience with them than I do, so I'd appreciate it if you could give me some suggestions. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fender...

Thanks

2. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    While I love my musicman, I can't really see it being played in a jazzy/bluesy enviroment, to me it just doesnt sound smooth enough.
    I've never played a bolton warwick but from pros who use them i'd say they can get pretty melodic and real growly (Incubus/Limp Bizket).
    The fender is just a classic choice and pretty much cant go wrong with a jazz bass.
    All in all if I were you I'd go with the Warwick just to be different, there are so many people with Stingrays/Jazz Basses, you'd really stand out with a nice warwick. Then again, the best way to choose is just play them all and if all else fails trust in the eeny meeny miney mo

3. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've played Stingrays and Jazzes in both of those situations and.. And well... Flip a coin. Musicman has The Musicman Sound, and fenders have the Good Ol' Sound. I'd say fender is the most trouble free, so if you like to be friends with soundmen, go with the jazz.

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Go with the warwick it will blow the others out of the water! I love the funk slap tone they have! I have a fender jazz and a fender frettless p-bass that i used to play all the time till i got my corvette pro-line in 95! Now i cant play the fenders they feel like cheap crap!

5. Sounds like you're leaning the right way! :)

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I bought all three.

The Warwick and the Musicman aren't very versatile, and IMO the Fender doesn't come close to the other 2 in quality. It is the most versatile however.

Knowing what I now know owning all three, I'd do one of the following.

1. Save a little more money and get a Warwick Jazzman - they have the musicman p/u plus the jazz or pbass p/u (don't remember). Its more versatile than the Thumb.

2. Buy the Mexican Jazz (cheaper than the MIA and in some ways I think better) and save for one of the other 2.

3. Buy the Thumb bass and go to www.musiciansfriend.com to pick up one of the Dan Electro Hodad basses they have on an insane sale for 99$. I own one and like it way more than the Fender - I've raved about it on other posts. Back to back sound wise it puts out way more than the Fender does, and is more versatile.

p.s. if you're like me or most of us, 3 months after you get whatever you do - you're going to start obsessing on the ones you didn't get anyhow.

Peace.

7. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    Interesting, I am actually having the same problem. I am not sure whether I want a warwick corvette or a fender jazz deluxe.

Playability wise, the warwick rules--but the balance was a little funny, and I wasn't sure about the range of sounds.

When I tried jazz, it wasn't as playable as the warwick, but it felt more solid (like I wasn't going to snap the neck off). The range of sounds was good.

I think I will go for the fender--I think I will be happier with it in the long term.

8. 100th Post!!!! Milestone!!! WHOOOO!!!!!

Anyway, musicman's get a lot of hype for their tonal variety. Recommended by players of all styles. Funk players especially. All I know is that I have my eye set on a Stingray 4 string. I can't wait to get it. Anyway, that's just me.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    They are all very good choices, each has its own distinct sound. MM's are great for, funk rock and even country, Ive seen Warwicks used mostly in rock, (not to say they arent used elsewhere, but thats where ive always seen them) and I've seen Fenders used it every genre of music there is, jazz, funk, blues. rock etc. They IMHO are the most versatile bass out there, and have the best tone. Thats why I have 2 of them. I would get the Mia Jazz bass deluxe over the American Series Jazz bass. They have a bit more tonal options with the 3 band eq. Just bring your amp with you to the music store when you are ready to buy, sit down with all 3 and play all three and let your ears be the judge.