1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick / Fender which "rocks"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aviador, Mar 12, 2008.

1. aviador

aviador

Feb 9, 2008
    Which is better for hard rock music?
    Corvette or American P-bass?

2. LuckyPants

LuckyPants

Mar 7, 2008
    Dublin
    I used to play in a heavy band and had a P-Bass. Was amazing and I'd never look back but I've never tried a Corvette so I can't compare the two!

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would say they are equally able to rock, though they will sound quite different. The bubinga Warwick will sound woodier and dark with a low end growl, the P-bass will sound deep and thumpy with more midrange growl. It just depends which one fits your ears better. If you ever plan to slap, it might be better to go with the 'Wick. But, I would probably go with the P-bass if it were me.

4. P Bass might be better for hard rock. Plus, you can totally bash it up without regret.

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

i agree, either will work, i have had a 1977 p-bass that did the rock thing really well, my warwick cuts through better but it works equally well.

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Me likes Fender

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Both completely different basses, like someone said before the warwick will give a really nice growl, the p-bass gives a real low thump, but then again you can get a p-bass tone out of the warwick by selecting the neck pickup, but you cant get a warwick tone of out a p-bass.

8. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    yeah played 'em both earlier today. I liked the warwick, didn't play it plugged in, but i'd imagine id love that as well. The only thing to do is go out to your LBS and try them both and compare.

9. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Fender Precision or Jazz for the classic sound.

10. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, what's with the false dichotomy?

Wouldn't you say that a P-bass "rocks?" And yet it is also used in Country music, reggae and all sorts of "world music" as well.

What's the difference?

Typically the player and the playing style.

It's funny that so many people focus on "just the right instrument for this-or-that genre" on the one hand, and yet on techniques, etc. to allow the widest latitude in tone, attack, etc.

Guys, ANYTHING can be overanalyzed.