Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Finish suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by claybone, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Hey all. I've scored a Warwick Stage 1 5 off Ebay, and the finish on the back of the neck was stripped off the paint, then tung oiled. The bass is still not here, so I don't know it's playability. you think that I should leave it at that, or refinish the neck to it's former paint, or strip the body and put tung oil in it?
    [​IMG]

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oil finish gives the neck a very nice, smooth, slippery feel. My future basses will surely have oil-finished necks.

As for stripping the body of paint, if the figuring under the paint is nice and if you like the colour of natural maple and don't mind the extra work for it, then go ahead.

Even if you leave it as it is, even though the transition looks a bit awkward, it will still work fine.
    Just my $0.02

3. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Well as for me I can't stand painted necks anymore, so I would leave as is. As far as the body, if the finish is nice, leave it on.

4. Great! Neck stays tung-ed. Thanks! :)