1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick finishes - What's available (i.e. Poly, Nitro, etc)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicksorenson, Jul 17, 2012.

1. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    Curious about these basses.

Perhaps I didn't look in the right place on their website but I had a hard time finding this info.

There were a lot of these bases in our local store in the late 90's. Seemed like many of them had natural finishes where you could see the wood grain texture. What is this finish? I'd guess a Tung oil or oil/varnish. But I might also guess a thin poly maybe?

2. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    I think I saw that. Sort of unclear on whether it's nitro, poly, or oil or combinations of some of the above there. I'm also still wondering what that was from the 90s. I'd guess it was an oil finish by the era. Any idea there. It was on a dark body and neck and really felt like wood with just a thin coating of something. You could see the grain texture through the finish.

3. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd guess maybe an oil finish?

4. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    nicksorenson,

We offer a variety of finishes, with Natural Oil being the one that has been around throughout our history. Additionally, we have developed the use of a water-based lacquer finish which is available in Satin or High-Polish. Our water based lacquer is non-toxic, and is cured in a oxygen-free UV-light chamber. This process cures the finish without chemical reaction, in a matter of minutes. Our current process allows for an ultra-thin, ultra durable finish with a clarity of 93%-95% - nearly that of a diamond, compared to the +/-85% clarity of traditional finishes. We also offer hand-staining, Chrome Tone, Rusty, as well as a unique process where we sand-blast the wood to intensify the grain before finishing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!