Warwick FNA 5 or Musicman Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm just needing a little input as to whether the warwick fna 5's better than the stingray 5 and in what ways are they similiar? Theres a huge difference in the price just for some more exotic woods. Which would you choose and why?
  2. FIXeR, It really depends on your style and what you perceive as better. I don't want to take an hour to explain everything about each bass but I can tell you that MY personal favorite is the Warwick, by far. The MM has it's place, but in my opinion it can even touch the FNA's tone or quality.
  3. I tried out all sorts of 5s including the warwick when I got my StingRay. In direct comparision the warwick looked classier and had slightly better build quality. However I liked the punch and the shallow neck of the 'Ray better. I found the warwick's neck too deep for my tastes - it felt like a broomstick IMHO.

Belair's right, you need to try them out and take your pick. :)
  4. I was wondering. What does "IMHO" mean. I always see people use it but I have no idea what it means.
  5. I was wondering. What does "IMHO" mean? I always see people use it but I have no idea what it means.
  6. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    belair57, I was wondering the same thing about a week ago. IMHO means "in my humble opinion." Also, you may see people say IMO, which is pretty much the same.
  7. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    In a recent Magazine the compared both.. and although they were pretty close on every thing they gave it to the stingray becouse "nothing beats the feel of having a classic in your hands". I guess the warwick equal but not equal enough..
  8. both are fantasitc basses, whenever i go to any music shop i try and play both of those (since i wont be able to by one til i can actually get money and when im old enough to get a job), but i prefer the MM over the warwick. i just like the feel of it better, and yes at times the warwick does feel like a broomstick.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm not sure if there's a huge difference in price between Warwick and Ernie Ball; the FNA 5s I've seen are around $1300. I'd have to say that the FNA is cosmetically superior to the MM5; tonally, the instruments are about the same. Some things to keep in mind though: first, the dense, open-grained wenge neck of the FNA may feel a little strange if you're used to a standard maple neck; second, the body of the FNA is oil finished, which means you'll have to treat it with respect if you want to preserve its looks; third, as others here have mentioned, the tailpiece on the FNA won't accomodate anything other than a tapered B string.