Warwick FNA care

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Apr 27, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Two Warwick related bass care questions, so all you Warwick owners please chime in!

1. I have the oil finish, its a very pleasing honey color, but it recommends waxing it with the supplied wax once a week to prevent discoloration! Is this true, or is Warwick just trying to keep me from practicing? :D

2. I rest my thumb on top of the neck pickup, and its starting to develop a bit of a mark/scratch from my thumbnail. Any suggestions for what I can do to prevent this?

And just in case anyone was wondering, I took the FNA to band yesterday, and it totally blew me away. It cuts through like a knife, and sounds just plain beautiful. I'd just like to keep it looking that way as well.:)
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I can't answer your first question, but the answer to the second is easy.....cut your fingernail. or, duct tape! everything can be solved with duct tape!
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm not sure if you'll really have to apply the wax weekly- that seems like a bit much and liek warwick is trying to make some extra $$ on wax or oil or wahtever, lol. I'm not sure though because my basses all have a clearcoat or paint on them, but I would do it once a month. My friend eric has an oil finish on his 6 string adn he only treats it 2 or 3 times a year despite our dry nasty colorado weather. As far as #2- try keeping your thumbnail cut short and wiping teh bass after you play? The marking from that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me- I think it gives the bass some pleasant charachter and teh "relic look" that fender is charging ridiculous amounts for :D ;). Nice bass by the way- I am really looking into warwick as a possibility for a fretless 6 once I have some cash saved up. Gotta love fretless warwick tone. :)
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, that's the thing, my fingernail is already short, I'm a nail biter as it is. Duct tape? on this finish? Forgeddaboutit... :D
  5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea, I'm assuming as soon as I get a few more dents and "character spots," as my guitarist calls them, I'll stop caring. But for now... well, its two weeks old and I want it to stay that way forever! And yes, fretless warwick tone is quite nice... I'm planning on yanking the frets out of my Streamer Standard at some point in the near future, ought to make a very nice fretless with a very dark and smooth sound.
  6. I try to keep up a decent waxing regimen for my oil finish Warwicks... perhaps not every week, but several times a month. The wax is cheap, a little goes a long way, and your bass will continue to look stunning and thank you for it. If you use a piece of fresh saran wrap you can prevent the wax from getting on your strings - nothing will deaden them faster. Just slide the saran under all of the strings and wrap it around on top. Enjoy.
  7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Haha, thanks. I actually took the strings off to do it, that will save me a lot of time.
  8. Always glad to help! :D
  9. This is instrument protection, but I'm sure
    you can use it for your application...
    Guitar Armour

blue painters tape.

won't harm finish.

won't leave residue.

Looks better.
  10. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You caould always wear a plaster (band-aid for you yanks) on yer thumb. One of those fingertip ones should do the job.

if the mark gets very bad, you can sand it out with some fine wet & dry paper, put some finger board oil on, then wax. You'll prob find you'll need to do this after having it about a year, esp the back of the neck, mine came out with a load of rough spots. Same process, just don't wax it!

as for normal waxing, I norm do it about twice a month, keeps it looking shiny. Even tho they say the back of the neck doesn't need anything as it gets enough palm grease, i always apply some finger baord oil to it, It now has an amazingly fst and smooth neck, compared to my relaltavely new warick fretless.

PS What is saran wrap