Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick FNA Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 12, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I am having problems with the GT7 I bought, so its going back.

I am almost 100% sure I want the FNA bass.

I need to know some info on it, because I can't and research it for a long time, the warranty runs out tomorrow (on the Conk)

Anyone own one? How is it? Any fret buzzing?

Is $699 a good price for a new four string???

I would rather get a 5, but the if $699 is a great deal then I can go without the low B.

Any other useful info?

Anything I should look at on the bass before I buy???

Thanks-

Joe

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    where 'd you get that price???

I'd go for a five or even a Jazzman FNA 5, but that price is really good.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Get it! Go now and get the damned thing for that price! I have a corvette pro-line and it has no frett buzz awsome bass! When ya get it send us pics! It is a tousand times better bass!

4. Any bass that isn't set up properly is going to have fretbuzz....Before you buy make sure that the store sets it up the way you like it and make sure that the neck is not warped and that the frets are leveled and crowned properly. I'd hope that wouldn't be the case with a Warwick (gotta give 'em credit for good workmanship even though I hate playing them...) but you never know:D

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Are you sure it's an FNA bass? I've never seen one for under $1000. If it is, that's a GREAT price. I'd buy it fer sure.

6. Buy Buy Buy. FNA's cost at least £900 over here in England (around $1250-ish), so it seems a bit rude to pass up a price like that, as long as it plays well and sounds good.

7. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Its a sweet bass!!!

Yes, its a Corvette FNA.

I got it from guitar center in fairfax, v. Its been on the wall forever! It was in awesome condtion though.

I got it in a discontiuned red oil finish. There arent many flames, but again its sweet.

Top notch work.

The GT7 had more balls though, I suppose its from the low B, posibly the bartolini's.

I g2g now, I'll post more later.

LoL, i bought the bass right when I got home, I didn't even read your comments!!!

ttyl

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MeTTaLLoiD, what kind of problems did the GT7 have?

9. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Hallo again-

embellisher: (sorry if i spelled it wrong)

I don't mean to dis conklin, but from what I have seen the GT7's dont get the attention they deserve...

Mine was a floor model, which obviously had been on the floor for ages: as with most of G.C's conks, and had been abused and also left alone for many months.

The action was extremely horrible. I was so excited to get a 7 I stupidly passed that up! Anyways, I took it home and started doing some slapping and the lower truss rod did like a 180 degree rotation, sounded like someone broke their back.

Anyway, it didnt come with wrenches, so I took it to a closer guitar center (fairfax) and had them look at it. One smart guy there had a conk wrench and said someone had turned the truss rod so much that it chewed out the hex shape, which was supposed to fit the wrench. (it all happened on the sales floor, before I got it). Then, he diagnosed the problems as needing an entirely new truss rod on the low end. Seeing as how I had like 4 days left on the GC waranty, they said it would take weeks to get it to conklin for the repair, I saw me being stuck with a broken bass!

I went to two other guitar centers to see if I could trade my conk for the exact same one, but their floor models were either beat up or crappy as well. They buzzed insanely, and 3/4 guitars, the frets were sharp as a razor.

**On a more positive note**

I must compliment conklin on the GT7's plugged up tone. It was the fattest sound I have ever heard in my life. It sounds like a million dollars (to me at least). If you have a GT7, turn the PUP selector to half way, bass and treble all up and make a nice smiley face on your amp and turn that $hit up!! You will see what I mean.

Then I came back to earth and realized I didnt really need 7 that the top two were used for dabbling in little cute chord stuff, and a 5 or maybe 6 is what I needed.

Then I saw the warwick on green tag sale at GC. I went home and fell in love with it (at home!).

I stayed up all night researching the bass as best I could and found that it looked nice. So BOOM, after my classes today I ran to guitar center and laid down the money.

The conk is still here, I kept it just to make sure the warwick is what I wanted. And yes, it is. I figure I will keep it and try to find a good deal on a 5 string model when I get the dough.

I dont mean to dis conklin in any way whatso-ever. I am just saying that when you mix G.C and conklin you get a bass worth its (20 lb) weight in poop.

Just my $0.02,

Again, g2g, more comments on the warwick later yall!

Peace

10. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    By saying “doesn’t get the attention it deserves”, I meant that Conklin needs to do a better job in the building and setting up of the bass. Guitar Center could always do better, but you shouldn’t expect an instrument to get eaten alive on the wall, if you know what I mean.

After switching over to bass, everything I have bought has been a good deal (in my book). I got my Ampeg b-2r, 410HLF cab, and the warwick all for under $1600.

I keep running into deals on a lot of bass gear. I will try and post random deals I find, I’m sure someone cares.

Just for clarification, are there more than one FNA model basses? Like a corvette FNA and standard FNA? A guy from a music store gave me a quote on two different 4 string FNA’s, one was $100 more (both had the oil finish, no custom options or anything).

Thanks

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man i hate that this has happend to conklin but hey thats what they get fore trying to make a cheap line bass! If you guys ever get a chance play a real conklin not a groove tools! They can make a awsome bass! Hey man is youre warwick the same clor as my pro-line? I love the color! What wood is the body made of? Mine was custom orderd and cost a asss load more! Mine is swamp ash body!

12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    YHey take some time to set down and play your warwick with your amp! Do alot of adjustments to your rig because you will get the coolest sounds out of that warwick! But it takes time to get used to it!~Most peopl dont like them because they set down a keep the same settings as there fender bass! It just wont work the warwick has a sound all its own! You will soon see that it will cut through a mix like no other bass!

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey Metalloid

there is only one FNA but it might be either one of them is a Jazzman FNA (J pickup in the neck added to the original design) or the maple top was better looking than on the cheaper one.

14. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Thanks air leech:

In the actual warick catalog there is an FNA model but there is no corvette FNA. Its on their site as Corvette FNA. Then I got a quote on both models.
    I believe the guy from accent music told me that the higher priced one had a nicer pickup.

I got my eyes wide open for a 5 string version...I am definetly keeping the four string, its a totally different feel than the 7 or even 5 string. Plus I love the color. I will try and get some pictures taken of it, I don't have a digital one though.

The maple top is standard flamed on all of them. There is variation in color between gloss vs oil and what not.

There was no jazzman available, so I didn't get it...I know its the one with the single coil PUP.

If anyone sees a 5 stringer FNA in blue, amber or natural, lemme know!

Thanks

TTYL-

Joe

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Carefull with the neck, ask the shop to adjust the action and neck relieve , normally if right from the box , the neck relieve is soo much and the action is really high and it is really very hard to adjust the action of the trussrod , I broke mine once. I have to file down the bridge nut to make the action low.
    Check the neck of Warwick, especially the bolt on and cheap models , the wood gets delaminate some times [I have acouple of them]. How do you like the thick D neck, I got really tired after 1 hr. playing even on my Dolphin Pro.
    The price you are paying is not worth it. If you have any quetions about warwick pls email me.

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man since you hate your warwicks so much then please send it to me! I have never had a problem with any warwick! And yes if you dont know how to adjust a neck then dont mess with it! You will break it like the above guy did!

17. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Hi Eric,

I have collection of high end only basses , form Alembic, to Warwick [A to W] I don't have Zon so I miss the Z. Warwick is the one who has the worst neck, the other all are easy to adjust , especially Pedulla is my favourite neck to adjust. My country has dry and wet season the relative humidity can be as high as 92 pct. Warwick neck normally unfinished and very sensitive to the humidity change, the truss rod is very hard to adjust.
    The price people paying in this thread is far too expensive I pay approx half of it and it worth only that much. Let say I paid only DM 1100 for FNA Jazzman4 which is about US 460. ADolphin pro I /4 string neck thru I paid only approx 800 US$. I do not understand why you all paid so much?

18. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    js bauski:

I would absolutely love to know 1. where you live

2. where you get these basses for such a low price. A SSII must cost what, $1500?

Please let me know!

19. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I live in Indonesia, I bought those Warwick directly from Warwick factory in Germany. AStreamer Stage 2 / 5 string will cost approx Dm 1900/US$ 790.
    I bought a few but seldom use them, cos I hate the neck, the best neck among them are the SS 1 /5strings and the thumbbolt 4[but the neck dive].
    I play Sadowsky most of the time .

I have the complete Warwick Catalog and price list. I was wondering why they are so expensive there.

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Simply put-they can charge that much! Warwicks are awsome basses and people will pay any amount to have them! Ive also owned several high end basses and loved most of them! But i cant ever go back after my warwick because it has the sound that i want! Never had a problem with the neck! And we live in a very nastty climate here in the ozark mountains! Freezing rain and snow in the winter 105 in the summer floods in the fall and tornadoes in spring! Nothing has botherd my corvette pro-line for years!