Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 or Carvin lb75p ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucfor, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Hi,
    I have a problem that I think is common to many of you.
    I am going to buy a new bass but I start having a headache because I can't make up my mind about the one to buy. I wish I could try those I am thinking about, one after the other, with the specifications I want and on the same amp. It would be easier to choose. But in Italy it is hard to find all the choices you have in an USA instruments shop, so here I am to ask your opinion.
    What I'd like to ask you is: what would you choose (for the same price!) between a Warwick FNA Jazzman and a Carvin lb75p "full optional"? And why?
    Thanx and ciao,

Luca

2. I would think the FNA Jazzman would be a better bass all around for the same price, and it should be easier for you to get. By the way, I own two Carvins, so you can see this is my unbiased opinion.;)

3. hmmm, I sorta made that descision myself. But it was between a warwick thumb and an lb75p, I didn't have enough for the warwick so I got the carvin. However it played pretty similair to the warwick. I like the neck better on the carvin, much more smoother, and the fingerboard was also attended to more, also it didn't bow as much as the warwick did, but you can fix this with a truss rod. I liked the elctronics a little better on the warwick, but the carvins weren't that bad.

Bascily the warwick came out slightly better in comparison, but the price differeance between the carvin and warwick made me go with carvin, and I am a happy camper!

Couldn't you just order the carvin, and if you don't like it send it back in 10 days? I think they do that over-sea's.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I prefer Carvin. Warwicks look funny and feel weird to me, and I don't dig their necks.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    in Italy, warwicks would probably end up around the same price as a carvin would.

i'd definitely go warwick. better pickups and electronics, better woods. construction is very similar (both being exceptional). the neck on a warwick is kinda unique though, you should make sure you've played one before you buy it, or at least get it from a place with a good return policy.

jason

6. Yea, Richard, that's one of the big reasons I picked Carvin, I liked there neck a lot better, and although the electronics are not quite as good, I would rather have a neck that I like than suberb electronics, plus I can always drop barts in it and we are as good as new!

But like I said before, make sure you play a few carvins, and a few warwicks, you don't wanna buy something on a total leap of faith on what people post in a message board, sure we give good oppions, but you gotta find out what works for you,,, IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!

7. jo cool

jo cool Guest

Jan 28, 2002
    you can never go wrong with a carvin. the neck and electronics are superb. i think its the best all around bass. i own one and i wouldnt have anything else.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    biased opinion- carvin, i own an LB75PF, as im sure everyone knows by now :), and i love it. The neck is beyond anything else i could afford, and the looks are stunning. Playability and craftsmanship are top notch. I know the electronics are not barts... but you can change that. you cant change the wood. btw i am quite happy with the electonics as-is.

unbiased opinion- in my experience, these basses ae two completely different animals, and should be treated as such. although the specs may have some similarities, i think that the way each plays (i have played both) and sounds, are significantly different. if it was at all possible, i would try to play both before you make your purchase. im pretty sure that once you do that, you will know wich one to spend your hard earned $ on.

best of luck

of course if you have already played both, i apologize; and would say youve come to the right place for more opinions (see above, "biased opinion")

9. Warwick!

Only based on my own experience, go with Warwick.

I've seen so many Carvins have a bent neck, the pick up just didn't cut it for me. Well maybe it's just me, but from what I know, alot of Carvin owner tend to change their Pu somewhere down the road.

I'd say, definitely go with Warwick.

10. Warwick !

5 Months ago, I bought the F.N.A. Jazzman 5 and I still do not regret it !! awesome bass !

[​IMG]

isn't she beautifull ?? :D