Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick fna jazzman push-pull knob question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Aug 3, 2003.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I recently bought a FNA jazzman 5, and in my warwick manual it says the pushpull knob is a slap contour. When i pull mine up, i lose a LOT of volume.. It seems like its a mid scoop, but im not sure if i should be losing that much volume. Aside from that, I LOVE this bass, I can get pretty much any tone I can think of, and it has a nice feel to it. Is this a normal thing or do I need some electrical stuff done? I just changed the battery, so thats fresh.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds like it has the seymour duncan preamp installed, which has a slap contour. If you open up the back, you should see two small trimpots on the circuit board. These control the bass boost and mid cut amounts which are engaged when you pull the slap contour switch.
    I'd play around with different combinations of bass boost/mid cut until you get a sound you're happy with.

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Before I go get my bass, does this require a screw driver or is this a hand adjustment?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you'll want a small screwdriver (non-phillips head) to turn the trimpots.

5. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thanks!

6. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Okay, whats a trimpot? Heh, Im quite new to this stuff, ive never needed to change anything before. Do I have to take out the preamp to tinker with it? And i didnt see any spots that a screwdriver would fit into (at least from the side angle).

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    see the attached drawing, this is from the musicman version of the SD tone circuit but you'll get an idea of what you're looking for.

You should be able to make the adjustments in place, and keep experimenting with settings until you're happy.

[​IMG]

8. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I can't see what i need to move because of some yellow things on it. Is it okay to take it out? The problem is I cant see a way to take it out, its mounted in there and I dont see a screw. Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I dont have a clue what Im doing. If i can get it out im sure that i can find the screws to turn.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, I don't know what's in your cavity so I can't really comment on your specific setup. But generally there's no problem in pulling something out as long as you're careful in doing so - don't pull hard - and make sure you discharge any static beforehand. The SD preamps are usually mounted on velcro, and not screwed in.

If you take a photo, I can maybe help with any specific questions you have.

10. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Sorry I can't be very descriptive, but I dont see a way to pull out the preamp:( Thanks for the help, since this is a new instrument, ill take it up to guitar center and ask them to do it for free:) Im good friends with both managers so it should work. Thanks again!

11. i have a warwick like that too but which of the two trim pots controls what, is the one on the right the mids and the other is the bass or is it the other way, and does it work with the knob pulled upor down?

12. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Are the electronics Seymour Duncan or MEC? If its MEC, thats an active/passive bypass. You do lose volume switching to passive.

13. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Wow, really old thread.

Bass in ur face try heading over to the Warwick forum, a wealth of knowledge over there that is specific to Warwick.

You should easily be able to hear the difference between a bass and a mid boost. I'm 90% sure the push/pull is an active/passive switch. You lose volume switching from active to passive.

14. the first fna jazzman had SD pickups and electronics. I don't know which is which, just try, it won't explode :smug:

15. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Hunt. Co., New Jersey
    Its a Passive/Active. In is active, out is passive.

I know. I have the same bass

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The first model was only called the 'FNA', and only had one MM pickup, all electronics were made by Seymour Duncan, and the pull activated a slap contour.

The second model was called the 'FNA Jazzman', had two pickups, all MEC electronics, and the pull is active passive switch.

Honestly the Seymour equipped version sounded so much better, and more rich tone.

yeah zombie thread for sure!

17. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    They did FNA Jazzman models with the SD electronics as well to the best of my knowledge.

18. digiman

digiman

Mar 3, 2007
    Is there a way to tell which Jazzman models has the SD electronics. I have an FNA (not jazzman) with the SD electronics and I'm looking for a jazzman that also has the SD electronics.

All of the ones I've seen have MEC pups, but I have no way of telling what's under the hood.