1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick FNA Jazzman - Quick MEC Pickup Question ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, May 25, 2012.

1. Hey all - I just got one of these used at GC a quick question -

The neck pickup doesn't have "MEC" written on it and I'm not sure if its an OEM pickup or not??

It's humcancelling as I get no 60 cycle hum when panning on/off it (I'm not sure if that even means anything as I'm even not sure if the "MEC" logo one's are humcanceling).

I'm basically just tring to figure out if these ever had the neck pickup where MEC wasn't written on it. I looked inside the cavity and all the soldering looks stock - it seem nothing has been touched. But it buggs me that the MEC logo isn't on the heck pickup.

Anyone?

Here is a photo:
    7270974498_641d9b2307_o.png

2. Anyway to tell if this is a stock neck pickup?

3. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    Pictures would be great. A lot of time the logo just wears off from playing

4. f64

f64 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Naples, FL
    Pics will really help. Some, but not many, of the MEC pups have a surface embossing around the gold foil logo. On both my Warwicks I have just the foil logo and it has worn off.

5. Here you go:

7270974498_641d9b2307_o.png

Doesn't look like it was warn off... looks like this is just how the pickup is.

Its completely humcancelling - is that a sign its not stock? I think (not 100% sure) I read that the FNA Jazzman suffers from 60 cycle hum due to a true single coil. I could remember wrong, or that could be wrong info too... not sure.

6. FWIW all the soldering and electronics inside the cavity look 100% sock. (I can usually tell if a stock job is tampered with).

Anyone on the 60 cycle hum?

7. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    All the jazzmans I had (5 different variations) never had a 60's cycle hum. They were all dead quiet

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    I just checked all of the Jazzman's in the custom shop, and they all have the MEC logo on the pickup. Most likely it has worn off, but with a used instrument there is no way to be sure what the history is. I'll dig a bit deeper and get back to you if I have any further information. Thanks!

9. ^ Thanks.
    If you could verify if the neck pickup is a true single coil, or humcancelling - that would pretty much clear up everything.
    or
    If there's an identifying mark on the pickup itself (logo or mark or somethig underneath to identify it as an MEC).

10. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

My hunch the Jazz pickup is replaced I would bet. I have never seen a logo on one pickup perfect and the other completely worn off you would still see some of it still on the pickup. The other thing that concerns me is every German Warwick I have owned if the furniture is gold then the pickups screws should be gold as well. Black furniture then black screws etcÂ…. You have gold and black screws. I have owned 3 Jazzman Corvettes the Jazz pickup were dead quiet. I smell mods. Take the pickup out and show us a picture of the bottom it will definitely say MEC on it.

11. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Been watching this on eBay so it also has black screws with gold furniture but this is an older one you can tell by the individual adjustment screws on the brass bridge. But the MEC logo is there and if you look closely they are not only painted but stamped in slightly so there should be some marks where the Logo would be on the J pup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Warwic...r-/160792565440?pt=Guitar&hash=item256ffbd6c0

12. Yeah, there is no signs of a logo ever being on this neck pickup at all. Not worn off, etc... in person, you can tell there was never a logo to begin with.

I have see some 5string FNA Jazzmans with no logo on the neck pickup, but its uncommon.

Anyway, let me know if there is a definitive way to find out if this is stock or not. Thanks

13. FWIW I've read post here where FNA Jazzman owners complained of 60 cycle hum from the J pickup. But then there are post in this thread that state no hum... whats truth?

14. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    I've owned about 5 jazzmans and none of them had hums. Even both my pnuts had no hum, the ltd jazzman no hum.
    Just my personal experience.
    If you like the way the bass sounds don't worry about it.

15. It does sound great... but I would still like to know what I have here.

16. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    You said the solder looks original and nothing looks tampered. Must be original. And like I said I had zero hum issues with all my 5+ jazzmans I had.

17. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The best way to check is to remove the pickup and see if there is a logo on the bottom of it. Hope that helps. Thanks!

18. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    Hi Modern Growl - did you ever determine the outcome? I ask because I think I just bought that bass...and coincidentally arrived at this thread because I wondered the exact same thing. Thanks. (PS, regardless, I am very pleased with the bass).

19. Where did you buy it from? Guitar Center in Paramus NJ ?

20. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    Yes, about a week ago...