1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick FNA Jazzman volume trouble

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickPlayer25, Jan 19, 2012.

1. WarwickPlayer25

WarwickPlayer25

Jul 10, 2011
    Hey guys,

I just picked up a mint condition Jazzman 5 from a trade the other day and can't believe the deal.

My only issue is for some reason the bass is much quieter then my other Warwicks. I replaced the battery and all the pots seem to be working/hiss free. I've tried readjusting the neck,string height, pickup height but I still don't get the right amount of volume.

Does anybody know what this could be?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

The standard preamps in the last few years is an MEC with push pull active passive switch in the master volume. The active part might not be engaging if a wire is loose. Look closely to make sure red power wire is securly attached to pot, PC board and a separate one to the jack. Also if the ground from the battery lead is off the jack or hot wire from battery to PC board that would cause a problem. Does the bass, mids, and treble still work? If they do then the preamp is getting power and you may just have a bad pot.

Older Jazzman models (Corveete and Steamer) had Seymore Duncan preamps and they are always hot and active the push pull engages a slap contour not active passive.

Sounds like a wire is loose or off. Wiring in there is crazy check all conections.

3. WarwickPlayer25

WarwickPlayer25

Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks man, I forgot to mention it was an 03 with a Seymour Duncan preamp.

It's crazy in that cavity, I'm not sure what I'm looking for haha.

4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I have a 99 fna with the sd preamp and feel the output is lower than my mec equipped corvette I used to own the output is equivalent to my pbass with quarter pounders and btw it does not have a passive mode so carry batteries always