Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick FNA model=passive pickup,active electronics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can someone, anyone out there in talkbass land explain to me what the hell this means? I've never even heard of this before now.

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Judgeing by the speedy response to this question I'm guessing nobody else knows the answer to this question either? Just thought I'd bump it back up to see if anyone else had an idea.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's just what it says - the pickups are passive, just like on any passive bass. No power needed to drive the pickups. Active electronics usually means that a preamp is installed in the body, that shapes the tone before it leaves the bass. AFAIK, these preamps are powered with 9, 18, 27 or more (?) volts worth of battery power. 9 is the most common. Some basses have a bypassable preamp, which means that the signal from the bass can be all passive, just as if the preamp was not installed. But from what I have heard, if the pickups are made to work in passive as well as active mode, you're not able to sculpt your tone in active mode as much as with a active-mode-only-bass. (Is this true, folks?)

Active pickups is another issue. They have the tone shaping circuit in the actual pickups, therefore, no preamp is needed. Again, this is only what I know, and I'm no expert, but don't you think I'm very kind to reply? ;)

There's more to this, with different load of signals and stuff, but I never bothered learning that... you don't need to! :D

4. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thank god someone finally answered :D. I was starting to wonder? Anyway thanks for the info but does this mean you can run this paticular bass off of the pickup without any battery power(ie. passive):confused:? Or will it simply just not have a signal at all?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think that particular bass will be dead silent without battery power. AFAIK, it has the Seymour Duncan Basslines preamp, which apparently isn't easily bypassable (all electronics are more or less bypassable, but this might involve cutting wires and resoldering... :D).

So it needs electricity to sound, but a battery should last a long time (6 months or more) if you're not gigging every night or forget to pull out your cord after playing. And a 9V battery costs what, a few dollars? Always have a spare one, just like you (hopefully) have spare strings.

6. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey Oyster since you and I seem to be the only ones up anyway. What are the requirments and responsibilities of being a moderator anyway? Sorry seemed like the perfect time to ask. :p

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Requirements - be nice to Paul (administrator). I took over after White_Knight on Dec. 23rd, because nobody else did, and I thought like "What the hell, I'm always here, I might do something good as well..." :)

Responsibilites - See that people on the board treat each other with respect, consider closing threads that's gotten out of hand, move threads started in the wrong forum. And, although not a printed rule, it's just as important: spend a lot of time on TalkBass...! :)
    The absolute majority on this board have respectful manners and are easy to deal with. Most of us do well in following the rules and guideline given to us. Unlike some other of those flame-o-matic-boards I've seen... where it's more common that people call each other "you stupid c**ks***ing motherf***er" rather than by name. Makes the job a whole lot easier, I must say.

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey Fixer!

I saw your thread a long time ago but didn't understand your question so decided to move on.

anyway, now that I read whats up on here I can tell you that most bssses with active electronics and passive pickups have a bypass switch which, as it's name implies, bypasses the active circutry and thus the signal from the passive pickups goes straight to the jack.
    this has one downfall, as Oysterman mentioned once the Pre is bypassed you loose the EQ so if you want to shape your tone you only got the volume on your bass and the Pan (if you got two pickups on yer bass that is) and the rest you have to do on the face of the amp.

btw, the Warwick FNA and FNA Jazzman aren't capable of bypassing. all Warwicks without the SD preamp can however do that via a push/pull volume pot.
    on the FNA when you pull the volume knob it engages a preset EQ curve with boosted bass and treble which to what SD claims is very suitable for slapping.