Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick FNA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drake, Mar 11, 2002.

1. I played an FNA at a local place the other day. Very impressed with the bass on the whole, but I would like to get some feedback.

First question:

I saw the FNA and played it, but I also played another Warwick that seemed to have identical electronics and the 1 MM pickup, but it was not called FNA, actually I could not find its name anywhere on the tag or the bass. Any thoughts on what it was? I thought it might just be last years model or something.

Second question:

What is the general consensus specifically on the FNA (not the jazzman)? What do you guys think its strengths and weaknesses are?

Third question:

What price would I expect to pay for one of these, I saw them at about 1100-1250 canadian dollars (about 800 or so american). Also is there any used market for these basses (meaning could I find one anywhere at a decent used price).

Those are my main questions, but feel free to go all out and rant about their ups and downs and all arounds if you have the knowledge to help a fellow TBer out. I had my guitarist with me (not the type who puts down bass as inferior) when I played it, and we were both wowed by the warwicks (which I used to dislike when my ear was relatively new). I was more wowed by some PJ streamer, but it was almost double the price and so not worth it for my rock band. I just need objective points of view so I have the insight I need to make my own decision on whether or not it is the right bass for me. So honesty is applauded.

Thanks guys/girls

Drake

PS- I guess I have finally seen (read: heard) the light. I understand the difference that tone woods and construction can make.

PPS here is my fourth question, very important:

I know some warwicks are subject to neck dive, is the FNA one of them? At all? anyone?

Thanks again.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    From what I gather, the Thumb bass is the most prone to neck dive. I haven´t read about horrid neck dives with other Warwicks.

3. Thanks ICEZ, I had figured that it was probably a specific model, but I could not remember. Good call.

peace

4. Warwick.. nice stuff eh ? :D

But eh...$ 800 US for a new warwick in America / Canada ?? are you sure it's not a rockbass ? seems like too cheap to be true to me.

the FNA is sweet stuff.. strong points in it, and all warwicks is the playability & sound. Warwicks have real nice necks to play on. The sound is very full of lows, and is perfect for metal, rock and slapping.

Another, very strong point on warwick basses is the configure-ability (sp?). you can adjust the height of the nut. you can raise/lower strings individually, and raise or lower the entire bridge. very usefull !

the only weakness the FNA has is limitations. Since it has only 1 pickup, the sound is somewhat limited.

Warwicks have very well balanced necks.. at least.. i've never heard any complains about neckdive on a warwick.

if you like the streamer more, consider to yourself if it is worth to save up some moe for the streamer, or go for the FNA.

But don't make any rush with your descisions.
    $ 800 US is a lot of money.. be sure you spend them wisely.

5. Thanks Allodox,

I thought it was cheap as well, but it definitely is not a rock bass. There is no rockbass FNA, and while I was there I mentioned the rock bass and looked to see if they had the rockbass, but it said FNA on the truss rod cover, and had the MM large pole peice pickup. Basically i am almost positive this is the bass I am talking about. I never asked if it may have been used though..... It was in good enough condition for me though.

I do like the adjustable nut, but it rips the hell out of my hands. I played it for relatively few minutes and got a couple scratches, I figured I could file the sharp edge slightly to get rid of the hazard.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this.... The mystery FNA style bass noted above had a slightly different nut.

more!

Drake

6. 1. The unlabeled one might be a de-marked Altus. Warwick originally called the FNA the Altus but found out that a violin maker had a model with that name; they gave up and renamed it the "F'n Not Altus"--FNA.

2. I can't say I liked it much. Very shy on the lows and low mids. I don't think it'd work well in a dense mix.

3. Notwithstanding, a mint/new-condition FNA is a steal at $800 US.

7. the streamer pro-m has the MM-looking pickup, but with the pole pieces unexposed... that could be it.

warwicks (aside from the thumb) aren't particularly neck heavy in my experience. just heavy. :D

8. Thanks guys..

I found the lows decent on a flat EQed trace elliot, but I guess i will try through a few different amps and see what I can get out of the bad boy.. and yeah the poles were most definitely exposed... probably the older altus model or what not... i will go sometime in the next week and ask questions. I will also make sure the price on the tag was correct. Either way I will try and work it down... I am a poor student hehehe... oh well... You guys know what the warwick will come with? case?

thanks...

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I owned an FNA 4 for about a year. It had a really great slap tone, partly because of the MM pup, and also because of the Basslines Preamp with the pull slap contour switch on the volume knob. Sounded killer.

It also didn't seem to get buried in the mix, but it was not as prominent as other Warwicks I have heard, either. I never experienced any neckdive problems, it was a very well balanced and comfortable bass to play.

So why don't I still have it?? Partly because I needed cash for a new rig. And also because it didn't have the tonal variety that I prefer in a bass. It gets some pretty good tones, but to me, they did seem a bit limited. I guess that is because of the single pickup. Not that that is a bad thing, if you like the way it sounds, then by all means, get it. I just found that it was spending more and more time in its gig bag instead of being played.

Oh, and it will come with a gig bag stock. The hardcase will cost ya extra.

10. I found the lows and low mids weak--and this was through an Eden WT-300 set flat pushing a D-410XLT, a rig which isn't low-mid-shy. To each his own; my favorite Warwick sound is a neck-through Thumb with the pickups on center detent and the mids cranked, so my opinion may not count for much.

11. I have the F.N.A. Jazzman now for 5 months... the playability is lovely !!!

12. I owned an FNA 5 for a while. I didn't find it lacked lows or mids (after I had it set up by my repairman). I used it in the studio a few times and had no problems. I bought mine from L&McQ in Toronto. It was the first 5 string FNA they received after the Altus name change. The price was marked incorrectly. It was selling for $1300 CAN! I scouped it up right away. It actually sounded and played better than many of the more expensive Warwicks they had in stock. If the price is too low, don't tell them. I sold the FNA last year after I got my Lull.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The mystery bass could be Fortress MM, which has two jazz pups placed next to each other so it might look as one humbucker. The Fortress' have quite long upper horn that balances it better than 'vettes.

14. I understand all your points guys. Thanks.

I still want to try to find a used one first. I figure that it would probably play just as well as a new one, and I like used cause you never really have to take a hit on the price.

More opinions are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Drake

15. B-B-B-bump

thanks

;P