Warwick for Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Just wondering what you guys think the best Warwick is for jazz playing. I know this is very subjective but I'm just looking for general opinions. Perhaps even a more appropriate question would be which Warwick do you think is the most versatile? I'm looking to finally get a second bass since all I have is a Stingray5 right now which I find too aggressive for the college jazz band (except for the funk stuff of course). I'm asking because I have only played a corvette and a thumb and don't have access to any streamers! Any input is appreciated, thanks!
  2. If you got the green and don't mind about spending it go for Infinity LTD or the set neck version they are both tone tweaking monsters.
  3. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I got a corvette std. and like it alot. I have seen some used on jazz trios before and it fit nicely, check em out.
  4. I, too, was wondering about this...I'm looking to get a Thumb BO 5 and use it for Jazz...any thoughts?
  5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I would say the streamer neck throughs. The infinity set neck 4 string I tried last week had the fattest neck I have ever felt. Outright uncomfortable for any style. I have not tried the LTD's yet.
  6. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    i use a thumb neck through 5 string for jazz.
  7. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Warwicks are great basses but you may find them also too aggressive for your jazz band unless you string them with flats.
  8. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I guess my taste tends to lean towards aggressive basses for some reason. I think I'm going to settle for either a corvette fna jazzman or a streamer jazzman...I'll probably go for the streamer since it's only about 200 dollars more. I suppose the other option would be stringing my Stingray5 with flats and seeing if that helps it sit better with the jazz group...but of course when we play a funk song I'll want the rounds back on it! One other option is I could forget the Warwick, and instead still string the Stingray5 with flats then get a 4 string Ray for the funk stuff. Ahhhhhhhhh, so many options! And yet I still want a Rumblefish and a Rickenbacker! Maybe a F-bass, and..and...and.... :bawl:
  9. Does anyone happen to have a sound clip of their Warwick strung with flats? a Thumb 5 perchance?
  10. I've owned several Warwicks and would suggest a Streamer Jazzman, MM and J pick ups with the Seymour Duncan circuit, loads of sounds on tap, will suit a varity of styles, a very versatile bass.
    I had a Stage 2 for a while with Bartolinis fitted, that was as agressive sounding as it gets IMHO, too much for me, the Thumbs a good allrounder and I recently played a set neck Dolphin that had a real tight sound off of the Bridge pick up, a real good kind of "finger funk" thing going on! I've had a Stage 1 and found that a good allrounder too, I liked the sound off the P bass pick ups, great for Brickhouse and the like!

.....after all that I don't play Warwicks any more, just wanted to try something different, when ever I pick one up know it feels like I'm holding a baseball bat
  11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    for sure. i've always though that, even though warwicks have an amazin, aggressive growl, they can also be really soft too. i'd say definitely go for it!
  12. Yep, that's the bottom line with all warwicks, they can growl but be subtle when you want, go for it!

13. Go for a Corvette FNA Jazzman. I've played the 5 and it was sweet. Definetly smooth with that jazz sound.
  14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Gotta agree with that one. I have a 5 String Corvette now and I'm going to be getting a Thumb fretless in the next week or two.
  15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think it'd have to be some pretty ballsy jazz for one. :p
  16. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    the bassits in a jazz trio i saw on several occasions plays an earlier thumb neck-through fretless 5 and he absolutely sounds great! he's an outstanding player, too...
  17. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks everyone...looks like whatever I end up doing will have to remain on hold for now because my financial situation just changed. Turns out my dad wants me to pay him back for all the classes I missed at college regardless that I was sick with mono, bronchitis, strep throat, and pink eye all at the same time! Now if that isn't sucky I don't know what is! *sigh* New bass must wait :crying:

18. beautiful..

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you
  20. One thing to remeber here is, when doing the jazz thing, it's not just about the sound of the bass, it's how you put that sound in there! if you know what I mean, even the most bad ass bass sound can be made to work if the person pushing the buttons knows which ones to push!! again, if you know what I mean!!!