Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick for metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    hey guys,I saw this post in the warwick mailing list,and I just wanted your opinion...here it goes:

"My first bass was a warwick and its not even a year old, I have Corvette standard 5 string. Its a great bass but I've since joined a band that plays power groove style metal, and I don't think the pick-ups ( which are jazz pick-ups) are working for this type of playing. When I recently consulted my local warwick dealer, they said I'm not
    going to find a pick-up that is designed to play rock/Metal that will fit in the same spots that my old ones do. I think they mentioned most of those pick-ups will most likely soap-bar type, twice as wide as mine. Yet I see so many mainstream hard rock groups playing warwick. The reason for my complaint is I'm not getting the volume,
    the punch that I need without having to turn my amp way up. I usually red line any peak indicators, It can't be good on my equipment. Yet my friend can come over with his Ibanez play twice as powerful with the amp gain way down. So what I want to know is what I sould do?
    I'm willing to sell this one and buy another. I won't give up I've got to play Warwick, Yet I need the power I'm not getting. I would appreciate any help in this matter, THANX"

Now,I was planning to buy a Corvette std.5 string whenever I have enough money,but this post makes me feel a little uncomfortable with my choice...since I am only playing metal,what do you think?

PS:I also hear a lot of the opinion that Warwicks are only for slapping...?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Warwicks are excellent for slapping and they have nice tone that cuts through the mix(so I hear) - and there are tons of metal players playing Warwicks. I have seen European bands like Sentenced and Nightwish use em, and you can find bunch of American metal players at Warwicks famous users list on their webpage. Amps are for being heard, not basses.

3. Check out Incubus and POD, both bass players are using Warwicks.

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    The bassist for MuDvAyNe also uses Warwick and really cuts through the mix. It has 2 J pickups right. There are a lot of players that play metal with J style pickups. You might try some EMG's or Seymour Duncans. Does your bass have active or passive electronics. If it's passive, switching to active electronics would really help you to cut through. As others have also said maybe you should look at your amp as part of the problem. I wouldn't listen to anyone saying "you can't use that bass for that style of music"

5. Sounds to me this guy has to: 1) Stop talking to his local Warwick dealer and 2) Get his bass checked out by a qualified tech. I have a Vette 5 and it would have NO problem cutting it in a metal band. Maybe this guy needs to replace his battery or something. The Vette 5 is a nice bass for the cash IMHO if you want that Warwick sound. Since when have companies made bass pickups that are designed for a certain musical style? This dealer sounds like a flake.

6. Dude, if you can't get a good rock/metal sound out of a 'Vette 5...

Seriously, that's probably the most "rock and roll"-sounding bass I've ever played. The strings are way too close together but it has low-mid punch for days. Try getting the guitarist(s?) to cut low midrange and add high mids.

7. Yeah really...you should be able to use any type of bass for any type of music, duh.

8. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    yup, bassist for mudvayne uses a warwick thumb 5, and ir sounds damn good, thats the next bass im gettin

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

DragonLord,
    this guy should change his amp.
    for Metal you need a powerfull amp.

anyway, I have a Warwick Streamer LX 5 and it has active stacked humbuckers in J hosuings so they might sound a bit more "heavy" than the passives on the Corvette and Fortress.

anyway, the Corvette has a great metal tone (and a great tone overall) and I think you are better off with a Warwick than an Ibanez.
    just because every Metal bassist today uses an Ibanez doesn't mean they are great, it just means Ibanez are lobbing great deals of money on these players to play their gear.

btw, I agree that EMG Js can give you a great metal tone for that corvette, never listen to dealers, there are J pickups that can give you great metal tones, though I'm personally not very fond of metal.

10. The Corvette 5 has the same active stacked hummers as the Streamer LX 5. I cannot express in words how HEAVY its tone was, and I was running it flat through an Eden WT-300/D-410XLT rig with the bridge pickup soloed!

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    yup AnalogKid, it's indeed heavy, even the bridge pickup soloed sounds beastly full in the low end.

I guess that the Bubbinga body of the Corvette makes the sound even more heavy than on my maple Streamer.