1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Fortress 1 is gettin' some Bartos

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ethanw, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ethanw

Ethanw

Mar 4, 2013
    Hey Peeps, I'm new to the forum but have lurked on here a bit. I have a 90's Warwick Fortress 1 that I like a lot but I never could get it to sound right for me. I'm looking for a John Paul Jones/Geezer Butler kind of tone, not trebly pop n slap. Anyway, I snagged a new Bartolini PJ set, 9j and 8s I think, and can't wait to yank the passive MEC's out. Even better, I found the Barto set on Craigslist cheap, new in box. No real point to this post, I'm just psyched, lol. :bassist:

Ethan

2. Ethanw

Ethanw

Mar 4, 2013
    Ok everyone, don't all reply at once, wait your turn, lol. To add to the Bartolini reviews, the 8s P pickup sounds great. It's full and deep souding, very ballsy. The 9j-L1 is another story. It's basic tone is alright but it seems weak, even when set as close to the strings as possible. One good thing is that the Fortress w/the passive MEC pickups had an odd frequency response that annoyed the crap out of me. Kind of a midrange honky tone that wouldn't go away no matter how you set your amp or bass controls.The Bartos seem to
    have gotten rid of that and made it sound like a normal bass.