Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Fortress Flashback 4-String ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothy, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    I ran across a Warwick Fortress Flashback 4-String for $250.00. It plays excellent, is in great condition, and appears to be made with good timber. I don't think Warwick makes them anymore or maybe it's a cheap knock-off made is N. Korea. Is it worth it?

2. If it really is a Fortress Flashback, I'd jump all over it for that price.

3. Yep, excellent price.

Do a search under this forum and you'll find a picture of my 5 string, for comparison. (Note my 5 has the 2 Tek bridge, the regular standard bridge is the same as the other Warwick bridges).

If it's the real deal it'll have the soapbar pickups, the pearloid pickguard, and recessed straplocks. The truss rod cover says Fortress Flashback. The nut will be the original warwick just-a-nut.

4. $250! Why haven't you bought it yet? I know they are a bit on the less pretty side, and the ones I've tried have been extremely heavy, but that price is just too good to pass up. Go for it!

BTW, the Fortress Flashback is a German made bass. And it should have a - sought after - wenge neck, as well.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so wait, what is the Fortress 'Flashback' again? it's just a German made Fortress?

6. No. The only Fortresses currently in production are Rockbasses, i e made in China.
    The Flashback was a varitaion on the Fortress theme, made to appeal to lovers of a vintagey type tone. Or so it seemed.
    There's a picture of one in this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102193&highlight=fortress+flashback and as you can see, if you scroll down a bit, they had a huge pearloid pickguard, lipstick pick ups, and an optional 2-Tec bridge. What you can't see is the big flake metallic finishes some of them sported, or that they were passive.
    Theese basses weren't produced for a very long time, and they never seemed to catch on. The only somewhat famous player I ever saw with one was the one from Gomez, whose name I can't even recall.
    Personally I remember liking the Flashbacks, even though I found them to be somewhat ugly (but not even close to as ugly as some recent Warwick creations *shudder*).

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I personally think the design is great. Very retro-looking body, lipstick pu's and if you can get one for that ridiculous price, I would certainly buy it.

8. I feel that a Fortress Flashback is THE bass for funk, it just has loads of "mojo" :). On top of that it sounds mighty fine (I tried a fiver once)!

9. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    Thanks everyone!

It is a true Fortress Flashback with the big pearloid pickguard and the 1 and 2 passive lipstick pick-ups, one volume, blend, and tone knob, (plus orig. gigbag!). I snickered under my breathe as I walked out of the store this morning after giving the dude the $250.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pics!

Thats an awesome score :(

11. Cool! Does it have a 2-Tec bridge or the regular Warwick two piece?
    We all need pictures!
    Enjoy your new bass.